Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

wheel rub

Old 12-06-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02/hyundai/accent
Default wheel rub

i cant stand this damn rubbing. every time i take a turn really hard or i have someone in the back seat the damn wheel rubs against either the fender of something metal on the inside of the fender and i cant take it anymore. i want to know whats metal on the inside of the fender. and i dont think its the fender lip only because i have a good 1 inch gap between the tire and lip when the car is just sitting there. but maybe when i load up the back seat the drop makes it closer? idk any suggestions? i have 205/35/17 i believe im not exactly sure. and i also dont see any scratches on the out side lip of the rim so im 90% sure its on the inside. and it sounds like metal not the tire rubbing
Old 12-06-2008, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Tiburon

To me it only sounds like it could be tire, thats werid and sucks tho. U might need a smaller tire!
I dont have any other suggestions.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Are your rims the proper offset? Also, a simple camber adjustment in the rear could take care of the rub for you. Tuck those babies in!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 AM

there +42 offset and i dont think chamber is gunna help in this situation only because its a metal to metal grinding noise not a rubber to plastic. if it was rubber then i would get that fixed easily but metal to metal is kind of weird.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:16 AM

you need some negative camber in that bitch!!

if you loosen up the strut bolts...push in on the top of the tire/rotor/base of strut it will move in...tighten the nuts while holding there....this will give you enough camber without throwing your numbers too out of wack...you will need to get the toe adjusted afterwards, being as camber affects the toe.

or just take it to a shop and have them do it on the rack...
Old 12-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Depending on wheel width you could be rubbing on the strut body. With 7.5" wide 18's I had less than a 32nd of an inch clearance and once in a while it would rub a little if I was cornering hard. Aside from that the most likely culprit is the bolt holding on the plastic bumper and the metal ridge that holds it. Just remove it and grind all that stuff off.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Vehicle: 2004 hyundai tiburon

COOL smile.gif
Old 12-06-2008, 08:03 PM

if i take out all the stuff that holds the bumper wont it come off? or do i just relocate all that stuff
Old 12-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I'm assuming it's the rear rubbing, after reading I guess that hasn't been established or I missed it. If it's the front then this doesn't apply.

In the rear if you remove the bolt nearest to the wheelwell on the inside of the fender it won't hurt anything or cause it to line up funny. Mine's been out for several years now.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 PM

great hopefully if it stops snowing i tomorrow i can get that bolt out. do you think it would be possible to get it out with out taking the wheel off or is it impossible. and cause its really cold out by me and dont want to be out in the driveway longer then about 20 minutes. i dont own an electric wheel nut driver thing