Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Whats the Best Suspension 4 me

Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tibron
Default Whats the Best Suspension 4 me

I like the idea of very good suspension, and i know everyones driving style is different so maybe i can get some ideas from yall about whats better for me. So here is my starting point.
i rode with a friend of mine ther other day in his civic he has stock wheels and tires i beleive lowering springs and adj. shocks sits about 3" off the ground too low for me casue his rubs a little. but the ride was nice. I have 16" focal wheels with yokohama avid h4s 205/40r16 tires. i am looking at springs, and from what i can find on here i need shocks as well, maybe both strut bars. thats what i need help with. i like handleing but don't want to shake my arss off. and not tooo extream of a drop, iam open to all sugestions.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

If you are rich and want to constantly fine tune your suspension for your driving needs (whether your adjusting for optimal tire wear or for optimal cornering at high speeds, or racing...) then go with coilovers ($$$$)

If not, go the most common way:

Most start with lowering springs then struts to go along with them and some strut bars (rear, front, middle if your into this)

(Oops, EDIT I would also suggest sway bars which transfer weight evenly while cornering (they highly increase performance, even more than springs).

Also, new tires help extremely improve handling

and don't forget the simple wheel alignment you should do after each install (most at least, not for strut/sway bars)

Get a REAL alignment done where curb weight is taken (which is measuring weight on front-left and rear-right wheels then measuring front-right and rear-left wheels and tuning suspension until weight is evenly balnaced diaganally making a symmetrical imaginary "X" under your car). This will illiminate or greatly reduce any under/oversteer while cornering,

Also, constantly check and repair suspension (it takes a beating if you drive like me). Don't be dumb...check air pressure on tires and simple stuff like that
often. Trust me, you'd rather want to find out about a blown bushing on a strut while it's in your driveway rather than at the apex!
Good luck tuning
Old 02-25-2005, 09:46 AM

KYB GR2s are pretty nice, I have a lot of friends with them and they love them. You can get them for $55 a piece at www.sparkplugs.com.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:04 AM

I have tried H&R and Eibach springs, both on Elantras and Tib first gen. I am actually running my Tib on: H&R Springs + KYB GR-2 shocks + Whiteline Swaybars (F&R) + Strut Bars and 195/55 15 Dunlop FM901 tires.
If you want a mild lowering and still pretty decent comfort, Eibachs are the way to go, H&R's are sportier, but firmer and ride degrades a little, not with Eibachs. As for shocks when I changed the OEM springs on my Elantra for the Eibachs I bought a set of NEW OEM shocks and the ride was LOUSY VERY BAD! Eibachs are shorter but not too firm, and the car bounces with OEM shocks, so go get the GR-2, they are much better than stock, and cost pretty much the same, and you will save the labor for changing them as your suspension is already disassembled.

Patreezy, Sway bars ARE NOT "the lower strut bars"; actually there were some under strut bars for sell at HDK a while ago. They are lower strut bars and strut bars do not flex, their function is to limit or eliminate the body flex, as oposite, the sway bars are flexible elements that "control" (not eliminate) weight transfer from one side to the other one. When weight is applied to one side, the sway bar transfers that force as a lever to the other side (that's why you see cars lifting the rear tire on corners when a too tight Sway bar is installed).
As for your application they are HIGHLY recommended, they affect body roll even more than the springs, and if go for Sway bars to control that body roll, you don't need springs that are too stiff.
(Patreezy) Maybe you mentioned because the effect of installing sway bars is reinforcement of the lower suspension, so the under strut bar is not needed? in that case... I just wanted to post that to help people not getting confused with terms.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:12 AM

I would go with Koni struts and Eibach sway bars..my 2cents wink1.gif
Old 02-25-2005, 10:26 AM

QUOTE (CyberShark)
I would go with Koni struts and Eibach sway bars..my 2cents wink1.gif

Koni Struts are way too expensive and they are hard as a rock; IMO they are not worth what they cost, and you don't need that hard of a ride unless your are getting into gravel rally competitions.
The KYB GR-2 are a great value for money, however if you have the money there are some options, www.performancecenter.com offers Bilstein shocks for our cars too, or there are always the Eibachs.
If I had the $600+ the Konis cost (add the $~250 from the springs) I'd rather buy the H&R cup suspension, that is less than $1000 from the TireRack.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:03 PM

^ I talked to a couple of Bilstein reps about struts for our cars. The Bilstein strut that you provided a link for is not worth buying, unless you strickly wanted a OEM replacement and not a performance orientated strut. I talked to the reps about this and they confirmed my suspicions as Bilsteins are very expensive and normaly dont run for a $100 each. Bilstein makes the best shocks in the world but they don't make the good ones for the RD's. The rep told me that they have a saying. "If you can't buy a Bilstein, then a Koni is the next best thing." The KYB strut is a good one and probably the best for the dollar. I also heard from different retailers that Eibach does not make a good strut/shock. Eibach's make different things, but they excell in sway bars and springs..not struts. Koni and KYB's are the two to look at.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:14 AM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon/2000 tiburon

I am wanting to get a set of adjustable coilovers/strut combos with adjustable ballpillow top adjustable camber plates.. any suggestiosn or what not..
Old 02-26-2005, 01:28 PM

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspens...32.1&perfCode=S

thats what i have, i love it
Old 02-26-2005, 04:38 PM

QUOTE (Zman)
I am actually running my Tib on: H&R Springs + KYB GR-2 shocks.

This man knows what he is talking about, I'm runnning H&R + KYB GR2 struts as well, and I love the feel. It is a firm ride. (but I like that)
As I dont know what Eibach are like I can't comment on those, but I saw Canadianshark74's ride in person and he was running Eibach springs + KYB GR2's
and he was a happy camper, said he really liked them.

So I think those are your best options as far as you not wanting to drop TOO low.

*H&R's will settle at 1.5"(rear) 1.6"(front)
*Eibachs 1.25"- 1.5" ( I believe?)

I hav'nt had any problems what so ever since my upgrade.
Its been about 10 months and I am more than happy with the modification.

Keep researching and make sure you know what your getting smile.gif

H&R's rule! wink1.gif

Edit: Make sure you remember to get a 4 wheel alignment done at least 2 weeks after you install your new suspension.