Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

What happens if you have uni-directional tires going the wrong way?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon
Default What happens if you have uni-directional tires going the wrong way?

I see so many cars out on the road that have these tires on the wrong way. Is there a safety concern with this, or does it just mean the tires will wear out alot faster?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

You pay attention to the directional tread pattern of tires on cars other than your own?

I think there's a bigger concern here other than people having tires improperly installed...
Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Alot of newer tires have tread which appears directional, but is non-directional. An inside-outside tire can appear directional and on one side of the vehicle it will appear to have the tread pointing a different direction. My Fuzion tires are this way.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

QUOTE (majik @ Aug 10 2010, 09:27 AM)
You pay attention to the directional tread pattern of tires on cars other than your own?

I think there's a bigger concern here other than people having tires improperly installed...

I notice it too on peoples cars. If Im walking by one that has aftermarket rims, I always check them out and the tires that are on it. I see alot of uni-directs going the wrong way as well.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Maybe they have to help them drive faster backwards you know like when you get blocked down an alley in a high speed thrill scene straight out of a Bond movie.....
It will probably cause faster tire wear, and less traction at the limits especially in wet conditions possibly even some unwanted vibrations at higher speeds but daily driving at low speeds you probably would never know it.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Discount tire installed mine on the wrong way once. Had them mounted and balanced. I couldnt go over 50 without the car trying to shake itself apart. Took the car back immediately. The tech comes out and apologizes that he put the directionals on backwards. Problem was corrected, tires re-balanced, and she drove like new.

I cant see how people drive with them on backwards. There was something OBVIOUSLY wrong when I left the tire shop that day.