Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Sway bar replacements

Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Hyundai Lantra
Default Sway bar replacements

Hey all.

I have tried to do my homework but at this stage I would like some help.

I have a 99 lantra s/w. I have tried in vane to find new upgraded sway bars for my car. Most suppliers that used to do them don't do them anymore, and the others dont list them.

I may have a chance if they sway bars on my car are shared with others. In my research and experience so far I am fairly sure that the lantra wagons and sedans are identical and also believe that the coupes are similar.

Two questions basically. Are there any upgrades within factory parts ie swapping coupe sway bar to my wagon if its thicker? Do they interchange?

Secondly Does anyone know where I can get aftermarket sway bars nowadays for my baby?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

You can probably get the rear sway bar from the Coupe. In America the Elantra has a 13mm bar and the Tiburon (Coupe) has a 17mm. They are swapable, you just need bushings to go with it.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The wagon had a thicker rear bar than the sedan, and if memory serves the coupe had a thicker bar yet. Whiteline used to make aftermarket replacements. When it comes right down to it, it's just a bar. Find a *good* smith in your area and they should be able to bend you one to match your stock part, with a greater diameter.

Go for the rear bar though, unless you just want to go crazy with stiffness. These cars understeered from the factory, which needs a thicker rear bar. A thicker front bar is well past the poitn of diminishing returns IMO.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Hyundai Lantra

Ok thanks. I dont really know anyone who can bend one up properley in my area, noone really offers to do custom work.

Took alot of convincing to get my shocks built(as I couldnt buy aftermarket adjustables here)

Sounds like a rear bar is the go. I will measure mine first and see what I can find.