Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Strut bars or sway bars??

Old 11-05-2002, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut bars or sway bars??

Which is better?? Which one will make the car feel like a rock??
Old 11-05-2002, 08:09 AM

Niether wil make the car feel like a rock.

Sway bars are a much better choice. They prevent less roll on a turn. Yes you do notice it very much. On the stiffest setting I can practiccaly drift around a corner in the rain.

Sway Bars and springs will give you a rock solid feel.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

Sway bars are a much better choice. They prevent less roll on a turn. Yes you do notice it very much. On the stiffest setting I can practiccaly drift around a corner in the rain.
I assume you have the Whiteline ones if they are adjustable ... How have they been for you I'm ordering them very soon unless you have a downside to point out for me.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:27 AM

Shadohh:
Niether wil make the car feel like a rock.

Sway Bars and springs will give you a rock solid feel.
I had sway bars on my 00 Turbo Bug, but I don't have experience with tie bars.What do the tie bars help with,if anything?

So,in your opinion,should I go with a rear only sway bar? Or front and rear?

Thanx for the feedback!!
Old 11-06-2002, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Sway bars or anti-sway bars limit body roll in a turn. If the rear bar is TOO stiff, the rear end can "step out" or slide in a corner(Oversteer). If you are a good driver...this is a good thing as you can slide the back end around corners. If you are a normal or bad driver, it is a really easy way to get into an accident. If the front is too stiff, you will understeer more. if it's really stiff, it will understeer BADLY.

So yes, there is such a thing as 'too stiff' when it comes to sway bars/anti-sway bars.

The whiteline units come with poly bushings front and rear. I HIGHLY reccomend them. I also reccomend the rear adjustable bar. Why? The bar can be set for "softer" in winter, or low traction conditions, and set higher for racing/autocross events and summer driving.

I reccomend you buy them directly from Whiteline in Austraila vs Mofugas. Mofugas's prices are 25% more expensive and directly from whiteline, and Mofugas will charge you more to ship your bars from their offices in Michiagan to your place, than whiteline will to ship them from austraulia to your place.

Strut tower Braces are really just for "fine tuning" the suspension/chassis. A Strut Tower brace ties the two strut towers together linking them and limiting chassis flex. With the strut towers NOT connected, the Strut Towers can bend in / or bend out /. Once the strut tower bar is installed, the strut towers must move together. This helps steering as the geometry for each strut tower is the same in relation to the car // or vs / or /. They are more of a "fine tuning" fix. Some autocrossers have complained of too much understeer in tibbies and elantras equipped with Front strut tower braces.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:12 AM

Thanx Random.

One more Q.Can I use both sway bars and tie bars? Or is that over doing it?
Old 11-06-2002, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

MADTIB:
Thanx Random.

One more Q.Can I use both sway bars and tie bars? Or is that over doing it?
Yes, you can use them together. There are even UNDER strut braces that work UNDER the car to tie the under suspension members together (www.hdk.com)

Over doing it is subjective. I personally have both, and I'm working on more ways to stiffen up the chassis, suspenion and steering even more. Yes my car understeers, but not so bad that I can't compensate for it with a little trail braking (sometimes I really wish for 3 legs/feet)!
Old 11-07-2002, 06:31 AM

Thanx again Random! Only thing,though,I got burned from HDK.I definetly won't be dealing with them again!!Terrible customer service.

Anyway, I ordered a set of front/rear tie bars from Shark a few days ago.I assume the rear tie is a lower??Must be because I don't see the strut towers in the hatch area.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:49 PM

Your rear tie bar is an "upper" tie bar, you do have struts in your trunk just behind the shelled carpeting. Just take a few screws off and you should find the struts no problem.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:34 AM

TîߧtêR:
Your rear tie bar is an "upper" tie bar, you do have struts in your trunk just behind the shelled carpeting. Â Just take a few screws off and you should find the struts no problem.
Thanx guys!! I just installed the front/rear bars today.Everything went well and the steering feels a little stiffer.Definetly will be adding sway bars as soon as I can.