Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Strange brake problem over the weekend

Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Accent GT
Default Strange brake problem over the weekend

Friday night when I was driving home, my brakes started making a weird metal on metal sound. They only made the noise going forward. If I put the car in reverse and braked they made no sound.

I changed my pads and rotors a little under a year ago (last May) and you can still see plenty of pad on each caliper when peeking through all of the wheel spokes. So I let the car sit Friday night and decided I would take everything apart on Saturday.

I go out on Sat morning, start the car, go to pull in my garage and nothing. No strange sound. I took it for a drive around my neighborhood and the sound just completely disappeared as if nothing had happened the previous day.

Anybody have theories on what could have caused it? My guess is something may have gotten wedged in between the pad and the rotor. It probably lodged itself out after I went to pull the car in the garage but I didnt see anything anywhere.

This car has a mind of its own sometimes. :biggrin:
Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Rock stuck between rotor and pad. I'd still take the wheels off and give a quick inspection to be on the safe side.