Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Tire Rotation

Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon
Default Tire Rotation

What would you all say is the correct way to rotate tires?

My theory is...put the tires with the lowest tread under the engine...regardless if it's RWD, FWD, or AWD.

Let's say you have tires on a car that are 11/32 in the rear, and 13/32 in the front on a FWD car.

I'd recommend rotating the tires and putting the tires with the better tread in the read.

Reason being...

Even if it's FWD, you have the weight of the engine on the tires. So, even if the tread is lower, you'll still have traction.

Whereas...you have not a lot of weight in the rear. If you put low-tread tires in the rear with no weight, that's even less traction.

I was doing some research...and some guy got sued because he put the tires with the most tread on the front, and the rear had almost no tread. The car ended up getting into a wreck because the car slid-out from the rear. He got in trouble because he put the tires with better tread in the front rather than the rear, so the rear lost traction.

Reading that also influenced my thoughts.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well, it depends on how much thread and if its safe to do so.

The way we did it in the shop i ran was ALWAYS put the better tires up front.

sorta want grip on the side of the vehicle that determines what direction you go.

for my vehicles i run a modified rotation:

fronts go directly to the rear, rear tires cross and go to the front.

discount tire(one of the most uninformed tire places ive EVER had the pleasure of having to deal with) puts the huge fear of OMG EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE IS GONNA SUE IF YOU DO XXXX TO YOUR TIRES. the truth is, people WILL SUE FOR ANY GODDAM REASON. if you put the better tires on the rear and they go into a turn and can no longer steer in the direction that they wanted to, flip and die, guess what, your getting sued. put em on the rear and the car spins out, lawsuit time. refuse to rotate due to tire wear and forget to note ON YOUR INVOICE that the tires are wearing evenly, even though you discussed the info with the customer, yep sue time. its amazing how much bullshit you have to add to an invoice in order to cover your ass.

we had to note on an invoice once that a vehicle was leaking gas and said was unsafe to drive. he drove anyways and 2 miles down the road the car burned to the f*cking ground. He tried to sue saying we didnt make him fully aware of exactly how dangerous it was to drive. We won the case but it was quite retarded that it went that far. I can only imagine what wouldve happened if i didnt note the fuel leak.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

if understeer or the front end goes straight with the wheel turned fully to either direction, you still can manage control by braking, if you swerve and spin out you have no control and possibly fall into a ditch and rollover.

a lot of my customers argue with me that it's FWD, RWD, or AWD..NO DIFFERENCE..putting the worn tires on the rear axles will lessen traction, cause hydroplaning, and it's a 180 degree spin followed by a slam into the jersey wall with all windows smashed on a rainy highway or high speed curve

there are times when i don't wanna argue with the customers ignorance and just give what he/she wants..them i make them sign and initial the dotted line saying.."customer assumes all safety and liability risks of putting 2 new tires on front and not the rear or moving the front tires which are good to the rear and worn rear to the front.