Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

springs vs. coilovers

Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Tiburon GS
Default springs vs. coilovers

My car currently sits 1.3" lower on SMA Lowering Springs from kdmstuff.com (which took roughly 5 months to get them from PENNSYLVANIA). I like them a lot, my car rides so nice on them, however I'm still stuck with the stock dampers and whatnot. They've been on about a month and a half and my passenger side rear sway bar came loose already. The reason I got springs is they were a gift from my brother.

HOWEVER, I really want coilovers now, but I need opinions on either actually getting them or keeping the springs. And if I did get coils, what brand to get?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

QUOTE(gorgeous757 @ Jul 24 2009, 10:20 AM)
My car currently sits 1.3" lower on SMA Lowering Springs from kdmstuff.com (which took roughly 5 months to get them from PENNSYLVANIA). I like them a lot, my car rides so nice on them, however I'm still stuck with the stock dampers and whatnot. They've been on about a month and a half and my passenger side rear sway bar came loose already. The reason I got springs is they were a gift from my brother.

HOWEVER, I really want coilovers now, but I need opinions on either actually getting them or keeping the springs. And if I did get coils, what brand to get?

You've already got the springs so I would be inclined to keep them and get some new struts, maybe something like the KYB AGX that are adjustable.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:45 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

^probably not bad advice, even from a new poster. Not sure exactly what happened to your sway bar, but you might want to fix that before you drop cash on anything else. it's pretty integral to suspension
Old 07-24-2009, 06:34 PM

QUOTE(ereeves116 @ Jul 24 2009, 03:45 PM)
^probably not bad advice, even from a new poster. Not sure exactly what happened to your sway bar, but you might want to fix that before you drop cash on anything else. it's pretty integral to suspension

oh don't worry, as soon as i heard knocking i made my boyfriend pull my tire at like.. 1130 at night. it's fixed.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I'm pretty sure the KYB AGX struts aren't available for the GK Tiburon.

IMO get either the KYB GR-2 struts which aren't bad, just not awesome, or get some Koni adjustable inserts. They're a bit of a pain to install and sort of expensive, but they're good quality and rebuildable.

Reasons to go with coilovers are racing or really slamming the car. Aside from that i think sticking with your current springs would be the better option.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:06 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent GS

I would stay with the lowering springs and get the KYB AGX struts. For everyday driving springs are the way to go. I lowered my car first with coilovers and hated them and switched to lowering. Love the way my car drives with the lowering springs and KYB's.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 AM

thanks guys smile.gif
Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Coilovers will kick your ass. Very stiff no matter which ones you get. Car will handle much better but will have a very rough ride. On the plus side I really enjoy watching my GFs boobs when we go over any bumps.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent

QUOTE(Whiplash @ Jul 29 2009, 05:01 PM)
Coilovers will kick your ass. Very stiff no matter which ones you get. Car will handle much better but will have a very rough ride. On the plus side I really enjoy watching my GFs boobs when we go over any bumps.

Bonus!

You ever drive in Norfolk (OV area)? I want to lower mine but the roads are so crappy over here I'm afraid I'll be bottoming out every few feet.