Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

So Once Again, My Car Is A Death Trap...

Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I AM SHOP. I'll pull the coilover, but wont need an alignment my man. Its the same exact part, just possibly the one on there now is blown. That thing is crap anyway, and if its blown I have a car with a full set of the same suspension just sitting in my front yard. I'll just swap it and see whats up. Eitherway, this is know...

When I drove to work that day, I was doing 80+ no probs. I was however scraping everywhere. So just before I got on the freeway to go home, I filled up my HOT tires with a grip of pressure. The meter said maybe 46 or so, on HOT tires, not cold, so I likely pushed the limits there. But that I doubt had any effect on the problem except the fact that the coilovers were friggin maxed out on spring ratio, and the combo of super hard tires probably just made the strut max out a few good times and piss it off. But I cant see any leakage on the strut? So if I did in fact hear the strut pressure hissing out, what the hell happened? Like is it just gas in there that pushed itself out after the strut slammed up a few times? I think before this, my struts had about 30% more travel at least, and my tires were way softer since they were underinflated. So that is my best guess for now. We'll see.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:52 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Ericy321 @ May 22 2008, 12:24 PM)
DTN, the whole speed bump thing makes no sense. Ya at that psi if you rammed a speed bump it wouldnt hurt the rim. But who does that anyway? 40psi is really high either way. 35 is more like it. Losing a little accuracy on the speedo is a price you pay with bigger wheels.

You seriously can't understand what I'm talking about? I'm not talking about those wide speed bumps, I'm talking about the ones which are 6" high and 10" wide, practically a curb in the middle of the road. The ones which make you catch air if you hit them at 10mph and are consistantly misplaced in parking lots. I have to take them at less then 5mph, but if you accidentally hit one of those at 15mph with 32psi, it will damage the rim. In order to compensate the size of the tire, you'd have to add 2" of rubber from 15" to 17". 2" of diameter on a tire is not a little bit on the speedometer. That's quite a bit. And that's completely disregarding hitting an accidental pothole with 35PSI. A 17" rim will decrease the space between the road and the tire by 1/3. That extra 1/3 is your OMFG I can't believe I didn't see that space. You remove that 1/3 of rubber and you've got OMFG I can't believe I destroyed my rim.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 AM

OMFG, that doesn't help me bro. Take it to PM. Plus, I drive a car an inch of the ground in Cali, you know how well you need to drive on these streets to keep the bumper on the car for a single day? Today I had a damn truck assume I was make a late right turn instead of slowing down behind me as I did the redicoulous 20 foot wide S manuever to avoid going head on with a dip.

In 6 years of driving heavily modded cars, I've bent ONE rim! I was in LA, and hit a HUGE Mound/Hole in the ground. Its like something heavy hit the ground there and displaced all the black top up and to the left. To avoid hitting the bump, I tried to get it centered under the car, but didn't know there was a 18" hole to the right of it. I was driving 80+ mph, and these were 99 dollar a piece rims with size 40 sidewall tires. Since then I've hit tons of bumps in the road where a huge slab of concret is sticking up on the freeway about 1.5" inches, and jars the hell out of the car, that has damn near bricks for suspension, and I've never dented a rim since. I blown up tires, and still never messed up the rim.

When I'm ANYWHERE near a speed bump, I have to drive parrallel to it, stop, turn the wheel all the way to the left, so that the tire is right near the side of the bumper, then proceed up the tiny or huge speed bump, and repeat for everyone I come to. Every dip is the same thing. If I did that at 15 mph I'd literally be moving sideways. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN with me driving. So, I think that's plenty enough about tires. Its not tires, its not my driving, its not a rim, its not worth debating. Meanwhile, I'm scared for my damn life, and too prideful to bring my car to a sleezy shop that I wouldn't let drive the car to literally save my life.

So, my stubborn ass, (aka I AM SHOP) has to fix this, and figure out how and why this happened, just like everything else I know about cars, because it broke once, and I need to be prepared for it to break again. Make sense?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:45 PM

I just wanted to let you guys know that I pulled the coils and indeed it was the strut. The plug at the bottom had a hole through it, so obviously all the gas escaping made that hissing noise that I heard. At least I know smile.gif I swapped coilovers right before my trip to APE to get the car dynoed with the new header. It was a good day smile.gif Too bad my stupid bumper ripped off the front of the car, lol.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I still think it's your muffler belt. The factory belt is only supposed to last 25,000 miles. Mine broke at 133700 on the INTERSTATE! Man was I lucky I didn't do a 420º and slam a deer in the rump.