Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

So Once Again, My Car Is A Death Trap...

Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

You're not reading that wrong but that is the maximum cold inflation pressure. The heading for 'maximum inflation pressure' in that table is a clickable link and gives a good explanation.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

this is from that scc link as well.
Some people aren't sure where to set their tire pressures. The one thing that is certain is that the maximum inflation pressure on the sidewall is not the right one to use. The vehicle manufacturer's recommendation is always a good starting point.

Those tires are designed to be used on all sorts of conditions and thats the absolute MAX the tire should ever see. the rating you should consider first is the manufacturers rating. It's set to include things like vehicle type, weight, etc. Heavy duty trucks see extremely high pressures like 60-70 psi. their tires are rated up around 100psi. Doesn't mean they run them there.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

I'm still pretty sure this has nothing to do with my tires or wheels at all. Something is screwy, and it feels like something is allowing my drivers side front tire to literally pull out to the left while I'm driving??? But everything is bolted up tight? I have no clue whats up, but I still haven't swapped wheels, so we'll see. And I dont think I've ever driven with the tires at their max, since my suspension is bone jaring anyway.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:34 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (rallyman @ May 21 2008, 09:25 AM)
Who is they? That is very dangerous to be running pressure that high, in my opinion. I hope the 42 psi you refer to is not the number you see on the sidewall of the tire. If it is, that is the maximum pressure that should be in the tire not the pressure you should run them at. I have had many different wheel and tire packages on numerous vehicles purchased from several different tire shops. Not one of them has ever suggested that a 17" tire should be run at 40 psi. They always say the manufacturers recommendation can still be followed.

I generally choose to set my tires at about 32 psi because I prefer them a little firmer for better handling. Air pressure is air pressure. A 15" tire that has 32 psi in it is no different than a 17" tire with 32 psi. Tire pressure should be checked and set when the tires are cold. If you set your tires to 40 psi they could easily be 45+ psi after driving a short distance and the tires have heated up. Over-inflating your low profile tires may give you slightly better protection from pothole damage to your wheel but it's not worth it to me. You might as well be driving around on solid rubber.

Blacktibs, I do agree with the others that you could be dealing with a bent wheel, suspension problems or even a tire problem. Let us know what you find out.

A manufacturer recommends a tire inflation pressure which is high enough that it will allow you to go over a speed bump without damaging the stock wheels. The tire pressure is low enough that it does not provide a bumpy ride. The manufacturer does not recommend the use of oversized wheels. 16" is the maximum. If you look on the driver's side door sill of your car, Hyundai provided ratings for 14" wheels with different tires and 15" wheels as well. They do not provide sizes for 16" wheels or 17" wheels because they do not recommend the use of larger wheels because it will decrease comfort and increase the risk of damage to the rim.

Your rims move inside your tire alot more then you think they do, especially over a pothole or a speed bump. A 15" rim has 4" of tread between the im and the edge of the tire. A 17" rim has less then that. They are both under the same ammount of pressure when the vehicle is standing still, but when you hit a bump in the road, the 15" tire has ALOT more cushion between the edge of the tire and the rim. If you want to save your oversized rims, you have to compensate the lack of space with excess pressure to ensure it does not crash onto the concrete.

I can tell you first hand that a 17" rim at 32PSI will destroy the rim under normal driving conditions slowing down for speedbumps and hitting the occasional unexpected pothole.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Chris, if it's not the wheels, tires, bearing, or one of those being loose, the only thing I can think of is your axles are messed up, but that wouldn't require speeds in excess of 65 for you to feel it.

Change your wheels, then drive. Adjust your suspension, then drive. Then report back
Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM

I second the shock theory. From what I read, you didn't lose air pressure right away after hearing the psssh? And the car rides like shit, so you're probably rolling on a blown out shock. Unfortunately, since you have coilovers, the bounce test may not work, but you can still give it a try. Just bounce like hell on each corner, then let off. If the car doesn't stop bouncing immediately, you've got a blown shock. You even said you have some shitty brand coilover.

BTW, did you shake down your front end? Check for loose parts like tie rods, wheel bearings, or ball joints. It *may* be one of those, so do that before replacing the struts.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

I'll swap my front wheels tomorrow and see how that goes. Then I'll try some other stuff. I just now read about the neon with the same prob. Tires aren't very new anyway, so if it IS them, at least its an easy fix smile.gif

Tires swapped, prob still the same, only my car is now half an inch lower, which brings it like 50% closer to the ground, lol. I need to swap my passenger coilover and see whats up. Then go from there. But first I need to undo what took me a friggin hour to do this morning and get my regular wheels on.

SO all your tire theory dudes, any ideas now that we KNOW its not tires. Thanks all.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

DTN, the whole speed bump thing makes no sense. Ya at that psi if you rammed a speed bump it wouldnt hurt the rim. But who does that anyway? 40psi is really high either way. 35 is more like it. Losing a little accuracy on the speedo is a price you pay with bigger wheels.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra

I run my 225/50/15s at 38psi all around because they grip better that way.

As for your issue, take your car to a shop that has a hunter road force balancer. Its possible that a belt may have shifted inside the tire and, while a normal balance won't detect it, a road force balancer can correctly pick up on it and tell you if thats where your pull is coming from.

crap, just saw that you swapped wheels and it persisted. Another thing that I could recommend is taking it to a shop and sticking it on the alignment rack. Looking at the different measurements on the screen may help narrow down the possibilites. If you pull your coils off, you're going ot need an alignment anyway so I guess you could swap them first to see if it gets better.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Vehicle: uhm..... N/A

Sounds like a broken belt in one of your tires..