Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Smoking brakes

Old 09-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Smoking brakes

I changed my brakes about 2 months ago and havent had any problems until today. I was out driving and I smelled brake pad burning. I came to a stop light, and I could see all this smoke coming from the front passenger side. Someone even pulled up to me and said smoke was coming out from my rim. When I got home, there was anymore smoke and I could still smell the burnt brake pad but it wasnt that bad. The car stopped fine, no squeeling, or anything.

What would cause it to do that after 2 months of driving with no problems? Do you guys think the pad just got wedged up against the rotor for a few minutes? I took it out for another drive a little bit ago and everything seemed fine. I dont want to touch it since I know it will be super hot. Just trying to figure out what may have caused it.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

I'm guessing seized caliper.

Jack up that side and spin the wheel by hand, it should spin freely, if you feel it dragging replace or rebuild the caliper. It is also hurting your mpg.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I pulled a stuck caliper and pushed it back in, GENTLY pressed the pedal to ease the piston out, pushed it back in, repeat, reinstalled and no problems for months since then. Maybe try the same thing, you may catch a blessing!

. . . or you need a new caliper maybe
Old 09-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

if your brakes are smoking, you should tell them what a nasty habbit it is.

sit them down and throw a carton of cigarettes at them, tell them that you're not going leave untill they finish smoking the whole carton in front of you-... while they're doing that you should pull some pictures of smoker's lungs on google images. sometimes this plan backfires and if the problem enhances you should look into the patch, or maybe chewing gum.

personally i would look into the root of the problem-... which i presume would be the 10 minute period between the start of work and lunch time aswell as the other 10 min period after lunch but before the end of the work day-... this period of time is known for smoke-brakes.

all slapschtick and puns aside, i'm betting on siezed caliper-... best method to test for a siezed caliper would be to go for a short drive w/ a friend (term used loosely. best to use transient, in-laws, annoying neighbors, prostitute, etc) upon your return jack up the car and get under it so that you can watch the caliper. start w/ the caliper you least suspect first. instruct your frenemy to turn rotor only-... ask them if they know what the rotor is or what it does and most importantly if they can spell it backwards correctly (if their answer is anything other than i-t or r-o-t-o-r your car is in good hands) from there instruct them to poke their finger through the gaps in the spokes of the wheel to turn the rotor. when they recieve a burn on their finger inspect the finger to decide what degree of burn it is. the finger that has 3rd degree burn likely is the siezed rotor.

just here to help! post #666 evil post!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

brakes burn thats all i need to know..
Old 09-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i think i'll also add to it that they need to remove the brake fluid resiviour cap before pushing the caliper's piston back. otherwise they may blow a seal-... which is almost as bad as blowing a walrus but not as bad as blowing a sea lion (from what i've been told). either way they may never be allowed back on sea world's premisis.