Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Painting Calipers: Some Questions

Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Accent
Default Painting Calipers: Some Questions

Hello all,

So before I start, I have done a search and have read quite a lot about how people have done this job so thanks for all the info.

I'd like to try to do this with them still on the car, if possible. I just have some questions which people dont talk a lot about in their threads:

Prep:

So obviously from being out in the rain the calipers look a bit rusty. Everyone just mentions to "clean" them with some brake cleaner or something. I presume the paint wont last if I dont remove the rust which is a given. Any good techniques for removing the rust. I have blisters so far from scrubbing with a wire brush which is difficult to get in an out of crevices.

Should I prime them first or if I use the correct caliper paint will it go straight on?

Painting:

I want to go red so I'm guessing 2-3 coats?

Has anyone successfully sprayed them while on the car? I think there is a much nicer finish when sprayed than brushing but it looks like a pain in the a** if I dont remove them from the car.

Finishing:

How fine should the sand paper be for finishing? Should I clearcoat and if so how much?

Really my main concern is how robust the caliper paints out there are to just applying and go... I don't want it chipping off in a few weeks and having too sand it all down and redo again.

Many thanks for all help and advice!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I use the G2 brush on stuff. 2 coats followed by a light sand with 1000 grit then 2 coats of clear. I do it this way at my shop and people like it enough to pay for it. Here are a few pics of a Lexus ISF I just did...

Before:

Prepped:

All done: