Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Sine my thread was locked

Old 06-20-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Sine my thread was locked

I didnt mean to start any trouble on the forum so if I did I apologize to the mods. Since it seemed like alot of people spoke about Ground Control coil overs are bad, does that mean sleeve style coil overs are bad in general or just the ground control ones? I dont auto cross not race. Im just looking for a simple street set up where I'll have a decent ride quality and still be able to lower the car down for when I enter an occasional show or two this summer. Then raise it back up some for daily driving. I have looked into the possibility of an air suspension but it runs around $1500 for a complete kit. For that prize, I would just buy real race coil overs from KSPEC or Shark Racing. I know you get what you pay for but there has gotta be a middle ground where you have some adjustability, decent ride quality, and it wont put a mega hole in your wallet. Thats why I asked if the Ground Controls would work if I spent money on good struts like the KYB AGX's.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i would steer clear of ANY coilover sleeves in general. theres not much to a sleeve to go bad. the reason they are available and popular is simple.. people (tuners in general) are cheap and they want their car lowered to look cool. ground control takes care of this by selling a simple setup to slam the car. even so, for your use, NEX would be more suitable.

ALSO, the ground controls (per their site, will lower your car 0-2.5") 2.5" can already almost be accomplished with a the very nice GR-2/B&G setup which would be around 500$ total.. The GR-2s usually settle a at a little more than 2" drop.

if you are looking for a simple street setup with better than stock ride quality and height adjustment, i would definately go for the NEX coilovers.

the NEX setup will give you height adjustability and it will handle better than stock with only having to swap in one unit.

ground controls + KYB AGX = around the same price as a set of ksport PROS..

not sure if these are the BEST prices you can get, but some examples.

Ground Control (400$) + AGX (140*4= 560) = 960$ for sleeves and 5 way dampening

Ksport PROS (1-piece bolt in awesomness) = 1000$ 36-way adjustability

NEX coilovers = 650-700$ improved handling + height adjustment

Ground Control (400$) + GR-2 (300$) = 700$

B&G springs ~2" drop (200$) + GR-2 (300$) = 500$

with NEX or Ksport, you wont have to assemble anything, upgrade top hats or worry about the install, its a direct, simple swap.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Do not get air suspension unless you're dedicated to shows. It's probably less dependable, less ride quality, more expensive, and you would only use it at shows. Visionz may be able to give more input on that.

Get complete coilovers as mentioned, not sleeves.

You've come to the right place for questions. Don't let the other thread keep you from asking questions, we'll help you as much as we can. There were differences of opinion and things got heated, but you asked a legitimate question.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The previous thread was an indication that we are all on the internet still and some people have maturity issues. The OP got a raw deal when looking for information and that sucks. This thread is limited to discussion of the original topic and gets special treatment because of the way the last one went. Like your mother said: if you can't say something on-topic, shut the f#ck up.

Heads up everybody: There are going to be temporary bans issued for ANYONE who starts bashing/hating in this thread.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:54 PM

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE ANGRY THINGS POST!!!

jp man sorry it got outta hand, but it boils down to this,

suspension is extremely important, your life depends on 3 things with your vehicle:

brakes

suspension

tires

do not go cheap on it, if your gonna do it, save up and do it right. As i stated in the other thread i have been in a vehicle where the sleeve slipped off the perch from hitting a pot hole. my friends car was totalled cuz of it. ive NEVER heard of a kyb/insert favorite brand spring failing. plus you wont have to get it corner balanced for it to work

IF you are mechanically inclined, and i mean VERY mechanically inclined, koni yellows, adjustable pillow balls, and some custom spring rate coils and sleeves(afco) are a VERY good setup, one of the best. BUT as you said, you dont race, so why go through countless hours of modifications on a suspension you will never use to the max.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

something to note about the above 'good sleeve' setup..

not only will you (should you) weld the sleeve to the strut if you decide to go this route, but it will end up costing much more in the end than a medium grade set of coilovers (ksport pro)

how much are you looking to 'slam' it at shows anyway?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welding to struts sounds like a good way to ruin the strut. Better have a GOOD shop do that!