Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Rim Problem!

Old 06-21-2005, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have had my HP Racing XES 17x7's for about a year now, and the minute i put them on my tib(rd1), my steering wheel and car started shaking...
It started out shaking just a little bit, but now it is so bad that i can't even stand to drive my car anymore! So I took my car into tire discounters and they said that the hyundai's aren't made for aftermarket wheels, and the spacers that they gave me for my wheels aren't able to be centered perfectly, so that's what is making my car shake really bad! Does anybody have a solution to this problem, or has anybody even had this problem before?? Please Help! It's absolutely driving me crazy! I want to be able to enjoy driving my tib again!
Old 06-21-2005, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

First of all..Don't drive.

Next, you need an alignment, your tires balanced, and you need to install hubcentric rings.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:00 PM

there are 2 screws on the rotors that are keeping them from going all the way back. that is what was wrong with my car. so just take them off if they are still there. they are need needed anyways
Old 06-21-2005, 09:01 PM

hyundai's aren't made for aftermarket wheels

First of all...that guy is an idiot...no car is MADE for aftermarket wheels...aftermarket wheels are made for cars...

Did you notice it immediately or at certain speeds it starts? Did you have your wheels balanced? Alignment check?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:06 PM

Yea! Well I noticed that the 2 screws on the rotors is what keeps the wheels from fitting snug, so i put those spacers on it, which i believe are the Hubcentric rings (correct me if im wrong), but those damn things still make my car shake!

But are you saying that i can take those 2 screws out and it'll be fine???

And zoned...I already got my tires balanced, my front end aligned, and i have the hubcentric rings on...I just dont know what else to do??

Ohh..and my car starts to shake horribly at around 55 MPH! And it gets worse as you go faster
Old 06-21-2005, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Hmm.
Try just taking the two bolts out like he said, that should most likely cure it, but keep the rings in there.

Otherwise check your tire pressure? lol, possible you have some flat tires? or really over-inflated ones?

And yeah the guy at tires plus is def. a moron.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:10 PM

haha...yea, thats what I was thinking! Seeing how I have never heard anyone on here complaining about how their car shakes because of aftermarket wheels!

But I have checked the tire pressure, and i keep them all the same, and at the right level!

Ill try taking those screws out
Old 06-21-2005, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

1. do you have captive rotors? what year is your tiburon? check the new member FAQ in the new users section to determine if you dont. if you do not, then just take out the two small screws. they are not needed at all. you will probably destroy them taking them out.

2. alignment WILL NOT cause vibration. the only signs of bad alignment are uneven tire wear and incorrect tracking when the wheel is let go.

3. spacers are used to provide clearance for captive rotors, or bigger brakes. something along those lines. hub-centric rings are used to center the rim on the hub, instead of having it lug-centric.

4. if you have a non-captive setup, you are lucky. take the 2 small screws out, buy some of the polycarbonate hub rings off ebay, make sure the tires are balanced properly, and you are set.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:22 PM

I have a 1998 Tib FX, and my rotors looks like the picture that is given on the FAQ page...So whichever setup that is, that's what mine is!?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

oh, well then...you're fvcked.

couple things you can do:

1. convert to a non-captive setup. do some searching on "non-captive".
2. get holes drilled out in the back of the rims for those four big bolts. NOT recommended though, can weaken the wheel.
3. get spacers and hub rings and hope they work together.

i didnt know 98 fx tibs had captive rotors though. may want to take another look at that picture. do you have four big bolts on your rotors? or two tiny screws?