Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Rim Paint

Old 04-03-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

they stopped making hypersilver for my rims. i just had 2 new ones shipped in quick from bigwheels.net and kyowa only makes gunmetal. what can i do to paint them hypersilver again without having paint chip or flake off? is there a special rim paint at auto stores? i've seen a few of you spray your rims darker, any recommendations on paint?

i don't want to powdercoat because for one it has a lip and i need the rims now.

color now:
color desired:
Old 04-03-2007, 04:15 PM

they sell wheel paint at most autoparts stores. as long as you prep the surface CORRECTLY, the paint will outlast the car. it works great.

but ive also used just basic 87 cent spray paint from walmart without issues, but thats your call. if i gave a crap about the wheels themselves, id do it correctly though.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:29 PM

Duplicolor wheel paint is the best. Dont make the coats too think, and if you want it really glossy you can use the clear topcoat, but you dont have too. I love that paint so much I use it on plastic pieces too.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:11 PM

^
duplicolor is what i use. actually ive never even seen another brand of wheel paint. so they would obviousely be the best. lol
Old 04-03-2007, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Sorry to hijack but what's the best way to prep rims minus sandblasting? Just regular old elbow grease and like 80 grit sandpaper right?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:32 PM

i use brake clean, get all the crap off, then bust out the trusted sand paper and get to work.

also, lay the coats on light, and just do multiple layers
Old 04-03-2007, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Yep.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:32 PM

exellent! thanks for the info. i used duplicolor brake cleaner to clean the surface of my calipers and rotors and their brake paint and it worked out great so i'll try it.

wonder if i can find it online...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM

yeah and make sure they are completely dry before you put them back on....I got excited and put too much paint on one of my old rims, and then put it on before it waws completely dry....and yeah, the paint traveled. Ive got a pic of it somewhere, I know I do...
Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 PM

alright well since it's a better idea to leave them gunmetal i will. the car looks a little different but definitely unnoticeable at night which is what i prefer. infact you can't even see the gunmetal rims at night.

so are there different shades of gunmetal? let me rephrase by asking wht color will match the gunmetal rim above?

i'll have photos soon to show you what i mean. it looks good, not the silver i adore but i'll feel safer leaving the car.