Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Question about stabalizer bars

Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Question about stabalizer bars

Hi everyone, I know what a stabilizer/ anti-roll bar/ sway bar is and I know it helps to reduce roll during a turn by linking the left and right suspension. But I want to know is how it affacts the traction of the tires when it comes to a turn. Some one says that the end with a stiff sway bar would lead to a weight transfer quicker and this will break the traction sooner then the other end with a relatively softer sway bar. And Here comes my question, why a stiffer bar transfer weight quicker??? All I know is, since the left and right are linked together, let say we are making a right turn, the car lean to the left side and the right side suspension will be forced to compress/ move up by some distance based on the stiffest/ thickness of the bar, which reduce roll. I don't see anything thing to do with weight transfer here.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Weight transfer is not an issue here.

A rear sway bar plants the front end, a front sway bar plants the rear tires. This is counter intuitive for most people so they try to come up with a reason that adding a rear sway bar causes the rear end to step out sooner in comparison with the front end, but quicker or more severe weight transfer is not the culprit. It is comparatively greater traction at the opposite end of the car.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Disconnect both end links on your front sway bar and take your car for a test drive. This will give you an idea of what exactly your sway bar does during cornering and how it affects the body roll. Then when you reconnect the end links and drive the car again pay attention to the difference in cornering and decide for yourself if you would like a stiffer bar or not.

I would also recommend installing upper strut tower braces on both the front and the rear.