Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Problem with brakes???

Old 02-28-2003, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with brakes???

The other day, I was getting out of a parking lot, and as I was inching my way to the main road, I was going down a pretty steep hill and as I was braking, they started to really grind. I never noticed this before, and I dont know if it is just because of the steep hill or it could mean that my brake pads need to be replaced. But when I brake at any other time, they don't make a sound. I have about 33K miles on these brake pads.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:44 PM

I don't know if this has too much to do with it but is it colder than crap where you live? I noticed my brakes doing that sort of thing as well but then again I might need new rotors. That's a different story all together but it feels like there is a difference with the cold where I live.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:46 PM

It is very cold where I am at, and that could have something to do with it. My car does not function in the cold at all. Like when I close my door, sometimes my window is jammed and cracked open until I roll it down a little and back up. Also the locks just dont unlock most of the time.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If the brakes and rotors were cold at the time, that noise is normal. Our metalic brake pads make hella noise when they are cold. After a couple of stops, they heat up and the noise goes away. If you go back to that same hill, with warm brakes, I'm sure you won't hear a noise. If you go back with cold brakes, I'm sure you can reproduce it.