Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

POR-15. Anyone tried this stuff yet?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win
Default POR-15. Anyone tried this stuff yet?

I've been hearing about this on several forums lately.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Pre...nt/products/1/

It basically looks like its plastidip with a rust inhibitor. I'm thinking about ordering some to apply to the knuckles and control arms since the original arms were rusted badly and damaged because of it. For them to be that bad after ten years on Georgia highways I can't imagine how bad they get in real winter driving. I'm hoping the new units will last a long time. Opinions?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Sonata 2.4

I've used it a lot. I restored an 84 VW Rabbit and painted everything under the car with it. It is absolutely 100% necessary to follow the preparation instructions, or it will flake/peel off. Everything I applied it to ended up with a rock-hard coating on it, that couldn't be chipped or scraped off. It's awesome .

I did the knuckles and control arms, and after a few summers of driving, they were still in unblemished shape. I live in the boons, and gravel roads are a reality.

IF YOU GET IT ON YOUR SKIN...you'd best dunk that part of your body in turpentine or brake cleaner, because it will NOT come off. I recall a few instances were I had to blast myself in the face with brake cleaner, lest I spend a week or two with huge black streaks on my forehead, lol.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Can't hate on that, especially if you live near salty roads. I assume it's pretty heavy, but that's not too much of a concern really. I guess your parts would have to be surgically clean before applying this sh*t, lest you seal in rust.

If you paint enough layers though, you could let the interior model rust out, and have a POR-15 control arm.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Well, the point is to use it on the new parts to seal them against corrosion.

I'll order the kit and see if it works. Puts my build off a little, but to add longevity its worth it.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

It can't take sunlight.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM

If my control arms are ever subject to direct sunlight I might have a bigger problem to contend with.