Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Please Help Me With Rear Brakes

Old 06-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of changing rear brake pads on my Tib and am having a problem with the drivers side caliper bracket. The bolts that hold it on were rusted solid. I ended up snapping both bolts off. I was able to remove the bracket by also removing the rotor, but now I cant get the rest of the bolt out. I am chewing up drill bits trying to do it and I am afraid I am going to wreck the threads. I searched and seached but I cannot find a place that sells just the bracket. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts? I am hoping for a cheaper alternative to an entire caliper package (my dealer wants 275!) or someone or somewhere that is willing to sell just the bracket....

bump

please...i have no other car to use while the Tib is up on jackstands....
Old 06-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Have you tried . . .

the local junk yards
car-part.com
google "used hyundai parts"

In the end, $275 is still cheaper than a car payment. You might have to just bite the bullet. I'm pretty sure if anyone here had one laying about, they'd be willing to pull it for you, but you missed the most recent couple of part-out threads turning into 'the car is gone' status by a couple of weeks.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

when drilling metal slow and steady is best. if you have any used oil laying around dip the bit in that before drilling (yes, oiling the bit helps it cut better) it will keep the bit cool, wd40 works well too. use a punch to make a dimple in the center to keep the bit from wandering.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:58 PM

@Stocker

Yeah, I noticed that. I always seem to miss the good stuff....

@alice6
Thanks for the advice, gonna try it in a bit.

Stocker-

Found one at the junk yard! guy charged me 35 for it, but i got it! Now my only other question is what to do about replacing the bolts...can i just get some at lowes or do i need specific special ones?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The only hassle is that they may be metric threaded. Minor hassle but possible safety concern is grade of the bolt. The spec. is marked on the head of most modern bolts, look on the bolts on the other side of the car if you can. You may have to spend some quality time researching what grade of bolt to buy. If you can't find out for sure what to buy, the guy at the junkyard doesn't have the bolts, and the dealership can't tell you, I can only say my go-to rating for automotive bolts is SAE Grade 8.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I buy those asian vehicle bolt packs at autozone for like $10. come in super handy. I can't remember the length of the bolts your talking about though. Anyways an autopart store aught to have something that will work.