Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Overinflating winter tires: Better or worse in snow and ice?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tib
Default Overinflating winter tires: Better or worse in snow and ice?

We know that overinflated summer tires have better handling and quicker turn-in on dry roads. I'm assuming that overinflated winter tires also perform better on dry roads. But does it cause the tires to perform worse in snow and on ice? Or better on one and worse on the other?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I believe I would prefer slightly underinflated as opposed to overinflated on snow. Underinflated would have more surface to surface contact. But, if it's too underinflated the surface contact will be on the sidewall, not the tread, causing you to skid easily.

Just keep them at their regular pressure. don't overinflate or underinflate and you'll be better off.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

+1 for regular pressure. If you're that worried about it, get snow tires
Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Ditto, keep them at regular pressure.

There is a myth that even most tire shops are unaware of and it drives me crazy. Most people believe that a wider tire is better for winter driving, and it is absolutely not true. Yes, if you are trying to get through 4 feet of unplowed snow, then yes, you want a wide, knobby as hell soft winter tire. But for the majority of drivers out there on slick, snowpacked or icey roads, going with a smaller width tire is BETTER because you get more pressure on the contact surface. A wider tire gives more contact surface but LESS contact pressure on the surface, which hinders the tire tread/snow tread to bite into the surface. This is even more true for those of us who run studded winter tires. You want more pressure on the ground, not more surface area, as this will give you the best traction from your tire tread.