Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

New Rotors Issues

Old 05-08-2001, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Random, would you be so nice as to help me out with a parts list I would need to change out the rear drums to disc. I am really looking foward to doing the work and gettin my setup together. I have a 1997 Tib with rear drums, so I would need I know 4 discs, calipers, pads, bearings, brake line, but not sure if I need more parts! I know Sam was supposed to help me with this, but have not heard from him in a couple of weeks on this. He said I was going to be the test car for this setup. One other thing was he also said I could use the parts from a 2k(2nd gen Tib) for all the parts for the whole non captive set up.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Yes, you would be able to use parts from any tibby for the conversion (1999 or newer).

I'll have to do some digging to get all the parts and part numbers. Let me wade into my pile of manuals and get back to you.
Old 05-08-2001, 01:33 PM

I have previously done this research by going to the Hyundai Parts Web Page and looking at both the drum brake and disc brake parts page and determining what is different and what is the same. The pricing for the parts is quite expensive, the calipers alone are $289.00 each! What you need are the brake discs, backing plates, calipers and caliper mounting brackets, brake pads and shims, assorted nuts and bolts, and possibly the emergency brake cable. Sharkracing is working on a kit using Genuine Hyundai parts that would come out alot cheaper due to them getting the parts at wholesale. I am looking at doing this conversion to my 2000 Elantra but I would go to a wrecking yard and find a Tiburon with a undamaged rear and make a deal for the entire braking system. Then I would pick up new discs and pads. Buying all the parts from Hyundai at the regular retail price will set you back close to $1000.00.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:42 AM

well I have a parts distrubitor, that can sell me the parts for around $650, but I need a list of parts, and everything, so I can do this right the first time