Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

New Rotors Issues

Old 05-03-2001, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rotors Issues

If I were to get a new brake system for my '97 Tib (captive rotors), like the Big Brake System on SR, what should I expect in terms of labor? I'm still a little unclear on what the difference between captive and non-captive rotors are; am I correct in that captive rotors are affixed to the bolts that the wheel connects to, and non-captive simply have holes that these bolts pass through?

If I were to get the system for captive rotors, the Konig Reigns that I currently have for my stock setup should still fit, right?

Showing off my ignorance,
Iago
Old 05-04-2001, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

No problems with showing of your ignorance...just don't flaunt it! wink.gif

Captive rotors have 4 bolts. Non-captive rotors only have 2 screws, and those can be removed.

The Konig's should fit fine on NON-Captive rotors. They would fit on captive rotors after machining out holes for the bolts.

[ May 04, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 05-04-2001, 01:00 PM

Dang it Random, now you've gone and confused me. tongue.gif

I have on my stock setup (which I thought was said to be a captive rotor system) the Konig Reigns, which fit just fine, and didn't need any machining. The only thing that needed to be done was the addition of a little rubber ring (hub ring, I believe it was called), and they fit just fine.

I'm a visual learner...maybe if you showed me pictures of captive vs. non-captive my artsy-fartsy brain would be able to comprehend this concept a little better. If you don't want to post here, just email 'em to me.

You da man...
Old 05-04-2001, 02:29 PM

Real simple, pull off your wheels, if you are looking at 2 large bolt heads on your brake rotors then you have captive rotors. To remove them you must use a slide hammer and in doing so you damage the bearings so they must be replaced along with the rotors. If you have non-captive rotors then you will be looking at 2 small phillips head screw heads. If you remove your caliper and then these 2 screws your brake rotor will come off just by pulling with your hands. When I worked for Honda as a Service Manager back in the mid 70's when the Civic first came out they had captive rotors and people couldn't believe that a simple brake job could cost so much. But every time the rotors were removed with a slide hammer the bearings were damaged and had to be replaced.
Old 05-04-2001, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Here is what a captive rotor looks like

Notice that there are 8 holes. 4 for the lugs that hold the wheel on, and 4 for the bolts that hold the rotor to the hub.

Ther is what a NON captive rotor lots like.
Notice there are 6 holes. 4 for the lugs and 2 for the screws.
Old 05-05-2001, 12:43 AM

<schooled>

So would swapping out to the SR big brake system require this breaking / replacing of the bearings, or since the entire unit is being replaced, would it all come out nicely?
Old 05-05-2001, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Replacing the Captive rotors with the SR big brake upgrade requires replacing the bearings at the time of install. After that you should not need to replace the bearings when you mess with the rotors.
Old 05-06-2001, 06:08 PM

We can provide stock bearings at a very low cost if you buy a kit.
Old 05-07-2001, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Rear rotors are not captive on 1999+

They are only captive on 1998-