Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

My Tire Fell Off (almost)

Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 PM
kcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Yes they are fixing them for free. And the guy didn't try to blame it on improper balancing, he just happened to notice it was done wrong. I'm a little scared though to keep driving on them. I made it to work safely, hopefully they hold up.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

maybe try taking it to another place and having them check them over, i mean they shouldnt charge you to check out to make sure your tires are safe can they? worth a try atleast
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra

It just suddenly popped off? Was there a sudden pop or rush of air? A tire isn't going to suddenly pop off the rim without making a noise. If it really was fully inflate and it just popped off, you would've heard a real loud pop. Anyone hear ever pop a bead off a tire with air still in it? Or, ever slice a tire with it inflated? Its loud, you WILL hear it. Hell, if I rip a valve stem out at 35psi all you hear is rushing air. People seem to think those who install tires are idiots(which I find insulting).

If the tire was able to hold air that it was fully installed and it's not going to come off. With the tires inflated, inspect it for any bubbles in either of the sidewalls. IF the bead was ripped while installing then a bubble can form and just keep pushing until that section of the tire pops off the rim, since the bead isn't there to properly hold it to the rim. The bead that they are likely to rip is going to be the one on the outside. If you go back there again and they take the tire off, go out and inspect it with them. Take your thumb and run it along the outer bead while using your fingers to pull on the edge from the inside out. You're looking for any section where the bead is ripped, or you can seperate the rubber. Also, with the tire off take a look inside the tire. See if there is any rubber inside the tire, and look at the sidewalls from the inside. Look for anything that doesn't seem right such as a line running the whole length of the tire that has been ground down, that would indicate it being run low on air. Look for punctures in the tires, even if you don't see any nails take a good look. You'll be able to see a hole easier from the inside if you have a good eye.

edit: What tires are you running?