Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Increasing downforce on the front

Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Originally Posted by Random
Nothing you add aero wise is going to help much till you get over 75-100 mph, and by then you won't have traction problems....
I disagree. Stick your hand out the window at 40mph while creating a "spoiler" effect. You'll feel downforce.

And 400whp will break loose the tires at 60mph.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

you would need to re-engineer the whole car for this idea...

you would need to redesign the whole front bumper, and underbody of the car. all of that open space under the engine creates alot of turbulence, even at a mere 40 mph. all the turbulent air pushes up on the car, until the air hitting the top of the hood and windsheild can overcome this and push down on the car creating downforce...

you would have to create a smooth surface from the lip of the bumper, to behind the wheels, covering up all those "holes" and air pockets around the engine and transmission.

also in the rear, from the front of the rear tires, all the way back to the lip of the rear bumper.

ive wanted to try something like this for a while, ever since i learned how to fiberglass...

take a thin bedsheet, tape it to the lip of the front bumper pull it back behind the wheels to the floor pans, tape it to the floor, and fiberglass resin the whole thing. just to create a smooth surface so air doesnt get trapped under there.

the caveat to all of this would be maintenance issues... how are you going to get to your oil filter, and oil pan drain. also heat, passing air would not be able to cool the engine as well, where would the air coming into the grill to cool the radiator go ?

so like i said initially, you would have to re-engineer the whole car, perhaps in a race application sure, but for a daily driver... not worth the hassle.

just do what the others said, stiff springs, stiff shocks, decrease front tire air pressure, increase rear tire pressure and ride height, which moves weight foward !
Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Want to make it easy? Make a skirt, splitter, an anything that keeps as much air as possible out from under the car.. cut a big freaking hole in the floor of the car.. install ducting and a fan. Done...
Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

OR maybe if the problem is during acceleration, practice accelerating in the limits of your tires, including feathering the clutch?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Your going to suggest proper launch technique over redesigning the aerodynamics of the car.. wtf is wrong with you..
Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

No, not just launch. With open differentials, every turn has the potential for a burnout. It SOUNDS faster, but really isn't.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Originally Posted by theman
Other than sticking a spoiler on the hood, how does one go about increasing downforce on the front end to get increased traction?

Theman didnt specify anything about drag racing, i think we are all assuming hes drag racing... maybe hes talking about high speed cornering. ?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Originally Posted by theman
I have just bolt ons. I do have pretty good tires. BF Goodrich G-Force tires. 205/40/17 in size. I have alot of wheel hop and spin when I launch so I thought maybe adding some more downforce on the front might help a little.

Originally Posted by Loneshark
Theman didnt specify anything about drag racing, i think we are all assuming hes drag racing... maybe hes talking about high speed cornering. ?
"Launching" is primarily from drag racing. Unless he's just talking about the first start in an AutoX or something, I think this is drag.

The best way to avoid wheel hop is better suspension, and better technique. Feather the clutch so you're just barely NOT spinning, but instead right on that edge.

I do like the idea of a big fan in the front. Similar to those little RC cars that can drive on a wall!

Originally Posted by WytchDctr
Your going to suggest proper launch technique over redesigning the aerodynamics of the car.. wtf is wrong with you..
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Vehicle: '01 Tiburon

Thats almost sad

Funny though