Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

how far can you last on springs?

Old 11-06-2002, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thanx

thats a lot of good info

I doubt santas fat *** will get me dampners... so ill try to springs with stock struts for now
Old 11-07-2002, 09:40 AM

I have H&R springs on the stock struts with no problems...although it would handle better with something stiffer like Koni or Eibachs.

They won't blow, our suspension is tuned for handling, unlike an elantra or accent. You should have no problems...make sure you align it after wards (2-3 days at most) because you will even be able to see your wheels bowing inward.

P.S.
It's been nearly a year now...no problems at all.

[ November 07, 2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: HE-MAN ]
Old 11-07-2002, 10:02 AM

Spiffywerks:
Hmm.. 80K..
Well, he could always just get the springs and put them on, and once he starts getting the bounce, change out the struts. He might get a year off the struts, me may only get 6 months. But if he doesn't have the money for the struts right now, then just do the springs and buy the struts later.
On two different vehicles, I have put aftermarket springs on stock strut. If less than 20k on stock struts, you should be fine for another 30k. Problem is, rarely do struts suddenly 'blow,' they just get softer and softer over time/mileage . . . and since you are driving it all the time, you tend to get used to it, rather than notice. Most notice when they get into another persons car and then feel the difference.

I used stock struts to save money initially, but changed the struts less than a year later. But with 80k on the stockers, you'll notice a HUGE improvement if you replace the struts now. IMHO
Old 11-14-2002, 02:48 PM

i was just teasing high tach wink

You guys are right though... i know a couple of junked new tibbies at the junkyard... ill just get some used ones with 5k miles on them

Any idea on how much these bastards go for?
Old 11-15-2002, 12:36 AM

Just go with the dampers, so you can tune your ride, cuz theres nothing worse than being low and bouncing on every bump in the road. Its sorta like seeing the old Honda Accords that have springs so firm that they hit speed bumps and dont stop bumping until they are a half mile away. You want to have control.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:51 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

My struts are getting really soft after about 15000 miles of a 2" drop. There's close to 45000 on them total.