Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Help! Weird Noise

Old 10-11-2008, 07:57 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

This is meant as a DIY/fault isolation guide. I've seen too many topics with titles exactly the same as this one. This is the topic to identify weird noises in the rotating/actuating parts of our cars. My idea is that when someone says "help I've got this weird noise or vibration", they should be referred here to identify it. We can't isolate the problem without specific information, and they usually leave it out which requires us to write a book to cover all of the possible problems.

The engineers who designed our cars were smart. Alot of the squeals/rattles/thuds/vibrations were designed to let you know there's a problem with the car, you just have to know how to interpret them.

There are 3 simple steps to fixing a weird noise coming from your car.
1. Identify
2. Analyze
3. Repair

Step 1. Identify
So you're driving along and you have a weird noise coming from somewhere in the car.

You should first try to figure out where it's coming from, IE;drivers side front, passenger side rear, the steering wheel. Sometimes it takes 2 to tackle this problem. Try having a buddy ride with you and give a second set of ears, switch spots and let him drive while you listen, sit in the back seat or the trunk, have him or you walk/run along side of the car while recreating the noise.

Now that you know where it's coming from, you should be thinking to yourself, is that a part of a rotating assembly, or is it stationary? Rotating Assemblies make a rhythmic noise based upon either engine RPM, or speed. Non-rotating assemblies will make a buzzing noise, or an event based noise.

Step 2. Analyze

Now that you know where it's coming from and what type of noise it's making, you can try to further identify the problem by looking closer at it.

Repetitive thunking noise from wheel while driving
Try tightening the wheel up. Examine the CV boot. Check for warped rotor.

Repetitive Thunking noise from wheel when turning
This can be the CV Joint going bad, loose wheel lug nuts, missing lugnut studs, or the gigantic hub nut is loose. Loose suspension components.

Vibration from steering wheel which gets worse at high speeds
Wheel balance is off.

Grinding/gnashing/noise at high speeds
Most likely it is the wheel bearing. Check the giant hub nut.

high pitched noise at high speeds
Noisy tires(normal), side view mirrors (normal), other body panel noise.

Repetitive Thunking noise from brakes while driving at any speed
Warped rotor is maxing out the throw of the brake caliper.

Squeaking/squealing noise from brakes while brake is applied or not applied
Most likely you've worn down your semi-metalic pads to the warning point. It is possible that your calipers pins need grease.

Vibration from brakes
Warped rotor or caliper pins need grease.

Squeaking noise from shocks
Bad upper/lower strut assembly rubber, no grease at top of strut, strut assembly is bad.

Thunking noise from shocks when hitting a bump
Loose bolt/nut on suspension component.

Squealing/whirring noise from steering
Low power steering fluid.

Thunking noise from steering
Loose suspension/steering component, or you have maxed out the turning abilities of the car (normal).

Thunking noise from trunk
Spare tire/jack is loose, trunk is popped, trunk latch needs adjustment.

Rattling nosie from trunk

Trunk latch needs adjustment/ tightening.

Squeeling belt
Belt is old, loose or covered in oil.

Vibrating, rattling, or other noise from body or interior panel
This can be tricky to figure out. Most of the time, WD-40 will PWN all rattles, creaks, ticks, or other noises from interior/exterior panels especially plastic on plastic noises. Sometimes you will need heavier tools such as a wrench, or a screw driver. Sometimes double sided foam tape, a piece of thick foam weather stripping from home depot, or Dyna-mat will help you figure out/solve the problem. Interior noises are a PITA. The biggest interior noise known to exist in our cars is the rear view mirror.

Whole car is vibrating/rattling
Metal-on-metal contact from engine to chassis, bad motor mount, bad compression in a cylinder, unbalanced rotating assembly, bad clutch/flywheel.

Other thunking/rattling/vibration noise
Try percussive troubleshooting, IE. smack that junk around and try to reproduce the sound. If it makes the sound, you can make it make the sound by pressing/pulling, tapping, or hitting (gently).

Step 3. Repair

Now that you have a better understanding of the problem, try using the search button to locate a topic suitable for help with repairing the problem. If a topic has not yet been created, or you spend alot of time searching and get no results, then create a new topic in the appropriate area.

****Feel free to add to this list. Just put the symptom in bold and the isolation/cause below it. ****
Old 10-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

great thread DTN, i seised a brake caliper because i ignorantly thought the squealing from an old inner pad was a wheel bearing...

im sure there will be tons of people that will find help from this, and not even mention it. kind of embarrassing now, it should probably be common knowledge but if i had read this before i never would have had to replace the caliper! now people will be ready and know what to check in advance when noises start popping up cool.gif
Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've added this one to my bookmarks. I could relate to a few of these; Squealing noise from steering
being the latest one (I'll check my power steering fluid).

Thanks, DTN! fing02.gif