Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Having a bodykit is not fun for alignments

Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Having a bodykit is not fun for alignments

Gotta get the Tib inspected this weekend, and it needs an outter tie rod to pass. No problem...I can do this in my garage in a couple of hours with a buddy of mine this week before taking it to the shop, but whats really gonna suck is the fact that the alignment will be out whack a little from doing the tie rod. Because the car has the molded kit on it, no commercial shop (Monro, Midas, Firestone, etc) will touch it with their alignment machines because the car sits too low for the racks. So I found a speciality shop that can do it, but they friggen charge $159 for a front end alignment on "unique case" vehicles. Total rip off, but I guess its gotta be done if I dont want my tires to be eaten away.

I could always just leave it as is, and make the new owner deal with it when I sell it in a month or two, but thats not my style. I would want the car to be 100% perfect when the title changes hands. Still though....sucks hairy moose testicles that I gotta pay that much when regular shops around town only charge $40-50 for an alignment. disappointed.gif fp.gif
Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You may be able to get away with using markers for the bolts. Get some liquid paper and mark the bolts in the position which they came out. Then when you put them back, you can use the marks to line them up properly.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

We used to kitted cars all the time at Sears dunno.gif
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Also, I believe Firestone has a lifetime warranty for about $150. They do not have any additonal charge for special cases. Bring some boards and get it up on the lift there.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

+1 for measuring the old rod and putting the new part back in the same length
Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

+2 for measuring the old rod but recommend measuring the new rod as well since different manufactures can sometimes use different lengths. So you may have to adjust based on the part from your old measurement.