Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

gen 3 knuckle on 1gen (random)

Old 11-21-2002, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gen 3 knuckle on 1gen (random)

ok i would like to know if a gen3 tib's knuckle front and rear will fit on a gen1 with some minor modifactions?
if so what is the rotor and caliper sizes of a stock gen 3tib front and rear please?
sorry about all the question but i'm just looking for the right choice thanks for all your time!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

if so what is the rotor and caliper sizes of a stock gen 3tib front and rear please?

Exact same as gen1 and gen2

The rear should work no prob. You'll have to upgrade to 5 hole rotors, but the calipers should still work.

For the fronts...the big question is spline count on the half-axles. If the spline count is the same. Replace the rotor, hub, bearing should be all you need to do.

Before you get the idea that this is an "easy" mod. Rear hubs cost about $140 each for 4 lug, about $150 each for 5 lug (that includes bearings and hub) Fronts sell the bearings and hub seperately. It's going to cost about $800 using new OEM parts, plus the cost of 4 new rotors, plus the cost of 4 new 5-lug wheels and tires. in the end You're looking at $2000 to $3000 just to add 1 lug per wheel
Old 11-22-2002, 03:19 AM

spline actually wont matter. As long as the birfield CV joint of the first gen fit onto the axle rod of the third generation. I think they will.

Another project costing that I cant check out smile.gif
Old 11-22-2002, 06:32 AM

thanks but if they are the same size i think i will find a trashed 99-or newer tib in a junk yard and keep te 4lug and just get the hubs and bearings and rotors from there if i buy from a dealer i could get it a little cheaper because i work for nation wide infiniti but i wanted to go with some kind of a big brake kit but i will just go with a quick fix if you want to say that but thanks for your advise
Old 11-22-2002, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

the Gen3 has the same brakes, so there's no advantage there.

SR does have a Front BBK for the Gen1 and Gen2, as do several other companies. Brembo has a front BBK for the Gen3, as do several other companies.

There's plenty of BBK's out there...as long as you only want fronts. As far as I know NO ONE makes ANYTHING for the rears on gen1, 2 or 3.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:32 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road

Are you sure the brake discs are the same size?

The front brakes on the GK are 11" and the rears are 10.5". As far as I know the RD Tib has a bit over 10" up front and like 9.5" in the back.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:55 AM

ya i know about sr's bbk i still might get it because it is a stock part and will work well with the car but i thought that was the only descent bbk out there for the 1gen i have seen someother ones but can't remmember names but they all had some problems mostlly with the calipers
if you don't mind random what other companies are you refering to that can get rid of captive rotors in the front (i know i will have to go stock on the rear)?
and since you know about sr do you by any chance know what year from the XG does sr get the calipers and rotors from and if they keep the four lug pattern
(note i need to keep the 4lug pattern becuase i have new wheels that are the four lug pattern and don't want to ship them back)
once again i greatly appreciate your time thanks

[ November 22, 2002, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: TowsonShark ]
Old 11-23-2002, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Let's try to stay on topic here. Are we talking about 4-5 lug conversions or BBK's?

The SR kit is XG calipers, but a custom rotor made for the Tibby hub/bolt pattern to fit the XG caliper. They are NOT XG rotors.

Batlord got a set from powerstop (I think it was). They make sets for captive or non captive, but you MUST have 17" wheels to fit their BBK, they use wilwood 4 pistion calipers. the SR BBK fits with 15" alloys. HP racing also makes BBK's to fit 15", 16" and 17" wheels. There are also several kits out there in Korea they we currently don't have access to.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:35 AM

Batlords BBK is from precision braking.

They use a willwood caliper, powder coated in a few choices of color. I think "Frozen Disc" makes the rotor.

I know they have the Fronts, and last I know, after HRD_Tiburon had them make the front set, he had them start work on a rear set. That was over 6 months ago, so they should be available now.

Rears are 2 pistons calipers.