Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Front Rotors going away fast with EBC Greenstuff ???

Old 08-09-2004, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: South Chapter Members edit

Has anyone used EBC Greenstuff pads with stock rotors?
I installed mine and I think braking performance is way better with those pads, BUT, my rotors didn't last even 5000 miles in good shape; right now when I brake the steering wheels shakes a lot and you feel the vibration on the brake pedal too.
I always have my wheel nuts torqued to avoid rotor deformation --due to over tightening of one bolt-- I'm sure it's not the ABS module nor anything like that, it's uneven wear on the rotors.
My question is, how often am I supossed to rectify my rotors? How many times will the stock rotors hold beeing rectified? I don't want to buy rotors right now, but if I have to, I want to know of something that I can use with EBC greenstuff or similar pads, without having to change rotors every 20,000 miles.
Also, brake rotors specs are supossed to be suited to pads, if rotors are too soft, pads will eat them, if too hard, braking performance will be negatively afected. So what's a good balance? Any brand (reasonably priced) for OEM replacement? Any special pad-rotor combo that is the best altogether?
Thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Re: 2004 BMW Z4 Mirror

sounds more like a warped rotor than worn away rotors. I have been running Green Stuf pads for 30,000 miles now on the original stock rotors. While I do have a warped rotor also, and it IS because of the pads.. it was a matter of the pads being slightly too tight on one side. I had to remove the shims on the back of the pads to even get the wheel to turn freely by hand.

Other than that.. I have nothing to say but good things about the EBC greenstuf pads.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:22 AM

Default Re: New wheels and other stuff

I know this sounds pretty much like a newbe question, but what is a "warped" rotor? (I'm assuming it's an uneven wear; like when the surface has scratches or something like it?)
I also have a very good impression on Greenstuffs, and will like to keep using them, but I'd like to avoid having to work on the rotors too often.
How do you avoid OEM rotors getting Warped?
(I ask because you said it IS related to the pads, and that you have overcome the problem...)
Thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Finally got my hood....

The OEM rotors are known to warp easily, they aren't made for performance. What happens is the extreme heat generated when breaking hard actually causes the rotors to warp slightly, or deform into a wavy shape.

Sucks.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Low Idle

If I buy the Brembo Rotors (the std. ones, those that are not drilled nor sloted) that are all over every place (Tire Rack, etc, etc) as a replacement for OEM rotors, would the same happen again? Or are Brembo's more heat resistant?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: speedvision gauges

No, you shouldn't have issues.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Re: Engine Cover

you could always buy Drilled and Slotted rotors that are zinc plated for your car. I have them on mine and they work great. From what I understand, rotors can warp from a few factors. One of which being from extreme heat, and then washing your car and hitting the rotors with ice cold water. Common sense will show that can't be good. Warped rotors are as REDZMAN said, a wavy surface to the rotor, and usually has the same symptoms you gave. Vibration can occur at high speeds, even without braking.

I am running a group buy at the moment. Shipping will cost a little extra to ship to Peru. PM me with an address and I can get a complete price for you.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?name=Fo...=viewtopic&t=22

By the way, excellent English, are you from the US?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Help with rims

Thanks guys, that's exactly what's wrong with my rotors, they have a wavy surface. This didn't happen with OEM pads, but neither did excellent braking lol.gif
I'll take a look at my numbers to check if I can get into the GB, I'll be in the US in middle october for a wedding (part of my family lives there, my cousins were born in the US and are US citizens) I'll be a few days in Miami, and a few days in Washington D.C. maybe I can order them using my relative's address and pick them up there to save some shipping costs.

By the way, thanks for the compliments on the language issue, I'm not american, but I learned good english at home and school, my parent's went to the american school here (Franklin D. Roosevelt School) and they used to talk in english to me when I was little; then I went to a German School (where language learning was difficult x difficult) but I ended learning english and there are remains of german in my head somewhere lol.gif lol.gif
Old 08-10-2004, 04:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: LEDs

you can get replacement brembo rotors off of ebay for very cheap. just be sure that when you replace the rotors, you scrape the hub with a wire brush to get all the crap off the old rotors could have left on there.

i know when i replaced mine, one of my rotors was slightly slanted because of a peice of rust from the old rotors.