Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Front-left Shuddering/shaking

Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok, I'll try to explain the best of my ability about my chain of problematic events.

It all started with my front left part/tire steering wheel shake when I'm going over 65 MPH.

Now, when I turn my steering wheel to the left about .5-1 degree or more(yes you read that right), it sounds like much more tire noise. i know all of our hyundai's have lose steering from dead center to left or right about 1-2 degrees; however, when I turn left, the tire-like noise appear. Because of this, now my left-front brake rotors are imbalanced. This Friday I am going to have my car's front-end aligned and my front tires balanced to see if it will help. In the mean time, does anyone have any ideas on the problem might be? Thanks.

I just hope that it's not my wheel bearing again; if it is, then it would be my 4th time changing it.

Edit: the tire noise is like the noise from a bad quality cheap tire. Ball joints, CV axle, and wheel bearings are new.

Edit #2: The noise is only heard on the front-left of the car. People are telling me that noise when you turn left is usually the right wheel bearing.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Wheel bearings, if they have failed, take <1min. to check. Jack up the car and wiggle the tire. Left/right motion might carry through the steering gear, but up/down there should be no notable play.

Also, if you DIY a wheel bearing, be SURE to get the preload set right. Ask whoever does it for you what method they use for setting the preload (hint: "impact gun" should get you going to a different mechanic)

There are also a lot of other bushings and moving parts in the front suspension; check your wheel bearings yourself, then report back.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Was it a wheel bearing?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:18 PM

Stand by. I will check this Saturday while I change my oil.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I know its a dumb question but have you made sure all tires are properly inflated? Also are all your tires the same brand/size all the way around?

Next I would try swapping the left front wheel with the left rear to see if the symptoms follow that wheel?

You mentioned your left front brake rotor is imbalanced? What do you mean by that? Is the rotor warped causing a pulsating effect through your steering wheel and or brake pedal? Could the caliper be frozen causing it stay partially applied? I would fix your brake issues after you get your car back.

And what do you mean by loose steering from dead center? Are you saying that while driving down a straight road you can turn the wheel slightly to the left and right without the car actually reacting? If so then that could be caused by the alignment, bad tie rod ends, or possibly slop with bad bushings somewhere.

Also what does the car do when you let go of the steering wheel on a straight road? Does it pull one way or the other?

Post your alignment specs after you get the alignment done so we can see the before and after results.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:50 PM

1. Yes, all tires are at 34 PSI

2. Yes, left rotor is imbalanced. Possible bad rotor/caliper. I'll check

3. Common for Hyundai's, there's steering wheel play about 1-2 degrees on both side. I've driven many Hyundai's and they all have the same play. Car and Driver even complained about it. When I "play" on the steering wheel on both sides about .5-1 degree, all-left will cause tire noise on the left tire. I'm praying that it's just bad bushings. I've already spent a bunch of cash and changed the wheel bearing, tie rod, cv axle and moog ball joints.

4. The car is fairly neutral when you let go on the steering wheel while driving. I don't noticed any abrupt turning.

Ok, I'm going to change my oil now and I will diagnose for some problems. BRB.

Edit:

Ok, I'm back.

I shook both tires up and down and side to side. The only thing making noise was both CV axles.

I don't know if there is suppose to be no play at all but both CV axle has very small play and both make a small clunk noise. I went under the car and twisted both CV axles by hand and there was play on both of them. Could this be my culprit?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It could be just taking up the slack in the differential, not necessarily a problem. Get under there and be sure it is the axle, not the diff. If it IS the axle, that's not good. There shouldn't be notable play in the axles themselves unless I'm WAY off.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:11 PM

Jesus, help me.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 PM

PROBLEM FOUND.

It was the previous mechanic who messed up. I went to a friend(an import mechanic) and he told me that if you install the CV axle wrong with the wrong measurements/torque (whatever), it will cause excessive wear on the wheel bearings. Now I know why the I'm on my 3rd wheel bearing. I"m getting my wheel bearings replaced along with a much needed alignment and fresh tires. The car will be good as new.