Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Cv Boot Replacement

Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my tiburon getting new front bearings, and I knew the boot had started to crack on the drivers side. I asked if they would replace the boot also, and they said sure, no problem. Well, a day later, they can't. They say that they can't figure out how to get something apart (sorry I can't remember what he said) but basicly said it was a type or design that the entire CV shaft would need replaced. Is this true? I find it ahrd to believe. And by CV shaft, does he mean axel shaft? Are those interchangable terms? Anyway, I thought you had to take the axle off, take off the inner boot, then slide the outer boot down & off the same side the inner comes off. This is for a 2000. Could someone let me know if that's right, or what I could tell them as far as procedure so they can replace the outer boot? I don't have the $ for a new axle or 'cv shaft'.. it's an $18 boot that hasnt cracked through yet, so it shouldnt be that hard. Please help asap so I can call them in the AM before they put it back together.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Search "cv boot", and read through various posts. Here's one:

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...2;cv+boot\

Yes, the boot can be replaced w/out replacing cv shaft. Of course, if the boot has been ripped long enough that water, moisture, dirt,.... got in, then the cv shaft would have to be replaced.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Usually it's not worth replacing the boot. You are much better off replacing the axle. You can get one "new" (so no care charge) for about $50 on rockauto.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Bommello, this is the only exception: the boot is cracking but not cracked through. NOW is the time to replace it, and that's why they're on the scheduled inspection list.

Yes it can be replaced by itself. NEVER take your car back to that mechanic. If they can't figure this out they are not fit to touch your car. if they don't want to, they are not fit to receive your money. Tell them to nevermind the axle, you'll come back for it when you have the money. Then drive down the street to an AXLE shop and have them replace the boot. They may even do it while you wait, especially if you have cash and are cute or the right color (sorry, but it's true).
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Whoops should of read the thread 02.gif lol.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

When I got my estimates, the mechanic said that replacing just the boot would cost more than to replace the whole axle.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Not if you DIY. The kit is like $50 from a dealership, if I recall correctly. You may need to beg/borrow special pliers to get the band clamp tightened and cut like OEM. To do this repair, all the same labor is required as to change the axle, plus whatever is needed to repair the boot. You probably won't charge yourself for your own labor, but they will probably charge at least another hour if you have them do it.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Or just buy a new axle from rockauto for $50 shipped....... Just saying you are going to be there why not just put a new one in.

BTW, I posted a discount code for rockauto on the discount thread, just search and use it if you want to!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

$50 shipped that's a steal