Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Front Frame Damage

Old 12-04-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who else has had this type of damage?
First incident

Those are pics of my car of about a year ago. My car had cracks near the bolt holes near the front center beam support. We assumed it was due to using that area as a jack up point and because of the horrible wheel hop i was having during my nitrous addiction days.

That was replaced by the front fascia of a rev a tiburon that belonged to blktibs, which was in good condition (check pics)

Anyways..

Today i was under the car and noticed this.
crack 1

crack 2

I was told by Onpol that the crazy high powered tiburons in puerto rico experienced this problem. Having the front section replaced was not that uncommon.

Now i do have poly urathane engine mounts that are pretty dam stiff... The car is now jacked up using the tow jack up points. I am guessing it is just the dam engine mounts that are cracking the frame.

Anyone here with engine mounts or a high powered tib care to check under their car? or share info on what they did to re enforce this?

mad john?

One thing i have also just realized, everyone that i have been told that has this problem had an RD1. I have access to two rd2s and the local junkyard so i will be checking/hoping very soon that hyundai slightly modified something to make it more durable.

Also.. if anyone knows of a tiburon without any front end damage, please let me know.
I will be needing this part.
front
Old 12-04-2005, 08:49 PM

so, does this explain your steering difficulties?

The Fiat spider is also prone to cracking it's crossmember.. but only because the four bolts that hold it on come loose and it moves around. Have you ever checked to make sure the bolts that hold that on are at the proper torque?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:12 AM

i doubt this would cause the steering problem i have. The frame is still stable,... although it wont last very long.

The last time i had it, it was much worse and i had no steering issues at all.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm curious as to what long term difficulties will arise from this, if it isn't fixed?

I don't have a powerful tib... but my frame is twisted. I believe it came from an accident 5 years ago when I was hit in the rear quarter panel by an SUV and spun around. The frame has just been getting worse and worse over the years and now it's getting so bad my front bumper isn't even fitting properly, and it's noticeable that one side is lower than the other.
Just curious as to what long term problems may arise, other than the body twisting a little and alignment problems.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:00 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

that i very common when you use the hard urthane mounts. the same shit happen to my sonata

also hard launchs plays a small part, and useing an impact gun on them will do you in too..

so far i have not seen any problems with mine yet..... knock on wood

but i have see the same shit happen to the boys over here in more then one case....

1. dump the "hard" mounts use the red ones from yaya
2, use a torque wrench on the bolts in the frount and the rear
3. hand thred them..

so far this has worked very well for me... as for welding it it will hold for awhile but not long my held for about 6 months till i could replace mine, when a bus back into me, before my turbo thank god

i have not renforced my at all but only time will tell

and as for long term,,,hood flying open mean anything since that is the ancoring brace for the hood latch

the last thing i need to see in the newspaper here is someone doing a ace venture in a tibby lol

but this is common in all korean cars over here it seens...
Old 12-05-2005, 10:47 AM

crap... =/

I guess ill ditch the mounts and get some yaya ones.

Next time we weld a new piece in,... ill make sure its reinforced.. hopefully that will give it more strenght.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Hum I never had this problem yet and hope I never do but I have been beating on my car for the past 4yrs First 2 Yrs was with nitrous last 2 have been turbo.

2nd gen possible stronger?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:38 PM

what kind of engine mounts do you have gary?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Yaya, The "Red" ones.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon/2000 tiburon

would a traction bar setup prevent this from happening... it mounts to the tow hook bolts and then somewhere in the lower control arms...they sell them for hondas and I think I can get them made for the tibbys..