Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Fitting Brakes From Another Car. How?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: tiburon 1998

Hey guys,

I have saome q's about aproject I always wanted to try:
If I want to take a set of calipers and discs from another car - may it be an STI, a Porsche or a ferrari - what do I need to look for, to make sure it can be fit to the tib?

I guess size will call for clearence (but with 17" wheels, most 300+ mm brake discs will fit)
Can I upgrade the number of pistons per caliper endleslly - meaning - will my braking component that are left (master brake cylinder?) will generate enoughpressure to make them work, or there is a limit? let's say 4 or six?

what else should I consider?

Soory for the newb q's, but I know nothing about brakes, other than they are as important as the Go pedal we all talk about and "know" how to improve.

Let's hear your thoughts....

Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you have to make sure first and foremost that the rotors will fit properly, and that there offset(into and out of) the car is about the same as stock.

the amount of caliper pistons depends on the diameter of each piston. also know that if brakes on a vehicle lock up all the tires easily and you aren't experiencing brake fade running a bunch of laps then there are only two real reasons to upgrade brakes.

1. show
2. lighten the unsprung mass by replacing the heavy stock calipers with lighter ones or lower the moment of inertia for the rotor/hat... both things make the car perform better

basically, you get the brakes off another car you are looking at the following:

1. redrill rotors or buy new rotor hats for our bolt pattern
2. get a caliper bracket made so that the new caliper bolts up correctly with stock caliper bolts and lines up with the rotor
3. get the correct fittings
Old 07-11-2009, 03:23 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Is the thickness of the rotor is an issue? or I can get any one?

Let's say a 330mm or so rotor off a big brake kit, that I know will fit the car - and get a caliper of another car - won't I have to verify that it is "wide" enough to clear the rotor or they are all the same/standard?

Will the brake components be storng enough to operate a 4 or six piston caliper? is it an issue?

by fittings, do you mean for the brake lines? if so, having stock ones on hand, and these from a donor car will make is possible?

Thanks!!

btw, what I wanna try is get used Porsche calipers (I think they are Brembo ones) or more easily STI calipers and use these to make a big brake kit - instead of paying for a complete kit...
Old 07-11-2009, 02:31 PM

the caliper obviously with pads installed has to accommodate the thickness of the rotor or it will not fit.

whether or not our stock system can handle the calipers depends on a bunch of factors. i tend to doubt the master cylinder can push enough fluid for 6 piston calipers. 4 piston ones depend on the piston size, but others have them and they work ok with the stock MC.

fittings you'd be lucky if you could just use the stock ones and ones from the donor car. it's possible, but likely you'll have to buy some more.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:58 AM

Is there a way to upgrade the master cylinder? is there a swap from another hyundai that might be good for such a project?

Thanks again!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 AM

If I recall correctly, there's a Dodge Caravan (or something very similar) that the master cylinder can be directly swapped from. It's in this forum somewhere I believe, might be worth searching.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 PM

you might want to contact 2uniq. he had a wilwood front and rear kit on. don't know what he did about the master cylinder.