Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

E-brake Snapped

Old 08-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I think that the caliper is fine because it works when I press on the brake pedal or pull on the spring mechanism where the cable connects. And I don't think there is a problem with the adjuster screw because I loosened it and it still wouldn't engage the brakes. Which part in the pivot point?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

IIRC there is a bracket on the caliper that holds the cable and it connects to a spring tension hinge. Are you able to manually pull the lever on the caliper to engage the e-brake? Just trying to rule out a bad cable first.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 AM

Yes I can pull on the spring loaded pivot point with just one finger and make the brakes lock up on both sides. The only problem I can think of it that the new cable is about an inch shorter so the bracket they hook into by the e-brake is crooked.....
Old 08-21-2009, 05:35 AM

Where did you buy your cable at?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 AM

At my O'Reilly auto parts store I have in town. They had to order it and said it was for my car. One difference I did notice was that instead of a round piece of metal at the caliper side of the cable it was a spring you had to compress and slide on.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 AM

They messed up then. both sides should have the metal knob you have to slide on. No spring or anything. Either it was mis labeled or they just didn't care and took what the 'computer' said was correct.

Were both cables like that? I have a feeling you got the drum brake cable.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 PM

Yeah both of the cables that were on my car had the metal knob you slide on. Should I just buy the drivers side as well so it will match my new passenger side and even out the difference in cable lengths?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I was searching info about parking brake and taht's the thead who's most related to my problem. I attempted to change my e-brake cable passsenger side the other day: taking off the old one was easy...i just failed at installing the new one

Basically i wasn't able to put the spring back. Trying to put it back in place, i dunno how i did but the lever (on the caliper) when the cable is attached kinda went back and now won't move. I dont know if it's clear since i don't have any pictures and english ain't my first language!

Well here's a picture from HMA:

Someone got any idea how i could fix that? And any tip about putting the spring back in place?