Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

E-brake Snapped

Old 06-17-2009, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like many others I had too much play in my ebrake, so I adjusted it. My first pull of the handle broke the right side cable, and now I'm not sure where to go from here. Obviously the ebrake is not functional for now, because the left side is not counter balanced. I'd like to change the cable myself if it's not terribly difficult or daunting. I've read that the back seats need removed and the carpet rolled up, but otherwise I can't seem to find any other information. I've checked the HMA service site and DIY section to no avail. Anyone lend me some advice, or should I go purchase a subscription to Alldata?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 AM

Vehicle: 1998 tiburon

maybe this will help you get an idea of how its done. G/L

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hyundai-783/Tib...rking-brake.htm
Old 06-17-2009, 05:09 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Not going to help him at all since he has a 2001 with disc brakes all around. Yes you can change your cables yourself.

Remove your arm rest console.

you will see a bracket that is attached to your e brake handle, at the very end of the bracket there is a nut, loosen the nut but do not take it off.

Unhook both cables from the bracket.

Get under the car and follow your e-brake cable back and see that its attached to bracket and spring on the caliper.

once both sides are unhooked, take the 3 or 4 bolts out for the hangers along the way and pull those sob's off. you will have to pull them out of the grommet that seals them into the car.

Bolt in your new cables, attach the brake side first, fish them into the cabin, and attach them to your bracket on the end of the e brake cable. Tighten bolt till snug and test.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

^^ thanx im gonna tackle this as well. i havent had a ebrake in over 2 years at least. it sux having to allways cut the car off.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 AM

A side note, before you install the cables there are little boots on the end that hook on the caliper side. Slide them off and pack as much grease as you can in there. Prevents dry rot, binding and rust.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

a side note, don't use any old grease. you should get some of the white lithium-based stuff. normal grease can trap dirt and moisture.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:08 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to tackle this in a couple days, and I'll make sure to take pictures and post a DIY if I'm successful.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It's not hard at all.

One of my cables was rusted or frozen shut when I got the car, so I only had one wheel locking up. I broke the second one eventually.

Changing both took an hour and a half or so. It's really not hard at all - just be careful with the bolts that hold the cable in place under the car as they rust very easily. Breaking those would make it a headache.

Bullfrog hit the directions.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:06 AM

I just replaced my passenger side e-brake cable because it snapped on the caliper end and i'm having problems getting the brake to work. I followed all directions and hooked everything back up and i can barely budge the e-brake handle there is so much tension, so it won't engage the brakes. The left side is fine and not seized up and it's not over-tightened because I only went until there wasn't slack in the cables. Does anyone know what my problem might be?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:19 AM

rusted or frozen caliper? Ajuster screw at the bottom back of the brake handle? Road debris logged in the pivot point?