Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

e brake problems

Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same here. It was 7 degrees in MD a little while ago and I never had any problems.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:10 AM

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
Solo, how hard to you pull your ebrake when you park?

I wanna kill my wife sometimes, she yanks on that thing hard as HELL.

not very hard at all. My dad is the one driving it now. And he baby's the car. But i know it broke where the cable runs the a hole either under the car or like an eye bolt. I'm just letting your guys know so you can check yours for wear and get it fixed quick if your warrenty is about to run out.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:02 AM

ok.. so it was further up under the car than near the brakes themselves. I will have to crawl under there when it stops raining and take a look.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:22 PM

yeah it wasn't chilling arround the rear of the car. just try to follow the cable the entire length and look for wear.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:47 AM

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe)
yes yes yes. mine froze too. warped and tore my rotorpros paint. caliper replaced. 300$ down the drain. don't use your e-brakes in the winter! grrrrr!

I'm about to just cut the f***ing cable. Just had the caliper replaced two weeks ago and it's -6 here and here we go again.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ok guys, I've run into the same problem as you all but what I think is the trouble is kinda self inflicted. I painted my calipers with the duplicolor paint kit and of course used a ton of caliper cleaner on them. well I think that in the process I cleaned off probably all of the grease on the cable for the ebrake. I sprayed a ton of lithium grease on there and it seems to have cleared up most of the problem.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ok i debated starting a new thread for this, but since the only thing i could think to call it was "ebrake problems," I figured i might as well put it in here. haha. Ok, my problem:

This has nothing to do with cold weather, and it does exactly lock up. I used to use my ebrake while parking (dont now because of this) but before it even got cold around here, I noticed that each time i went to pull it up, it was looser and looser. I came to the obvious conclusion that my brakes were wearing off, i looked, and sure enough, i needed new ones. I figured it was due to using it so much. I replaced the pads, and the ebrake cable was once again tight. That was in early october. I stopped using the ebrake for parking because of this, but recently its been freezing around here so i start my car and go inside to let it warm up and have to leave the brake on since i cant leave it in gear while its running. the FIRST time i did that, the cable was already loose.... that was the first time since i replaced the pads, and well now theres like nothing left again.

I figured the cable is probably stuck or the caliper slide thingies or something, so i parked on a VERY gradual hill that i used to start to roll on and sure enough, the car now stays put. but on a slightly bigger hill, the car still rolls. so those brakes are staying on, but barely. daily driving is just wearing them away (think of my poor gas milage too! haha) but how can i fix this? any other ideas as to what it could be? any help is appreciated, thanks guys!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:50 PM

well.. using the hand brake to hold the car in place is NOT going to wear out the pads... you need a moving rotor to do that.. the question for your second question.. was your foot on the brake at the time? if it was, then you already had the pads pressed into the rotor, so there would have been slack in the mechanism.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
well.. using the hand brake to hold the car in place is NOT going to wear out the pads... you need a moving rotor to do that.. the question for your second question.. was your foot on the brake at the time? if it was, then you already had the pads pressed into the rotor, so there would have been slack in the mechanism.

I know you need a moving rotor to wear out pads, thats how i know its stuck on lightly. and what do you mean was my foot on the brake at the time? when i was seeing if it would roll back of course not!

Either way, my ebrake is wearing off from daily driving. i was just wondering if anyone had ideas as to what might be causing this and how to fix it. I listed some possibilities in my first post, but still am not sure.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

yeah it wasn't too cold here in MD surprisingly. but the trouble all started right after the first snow showers back in December in Germantown. i think the rotors heated up and caused moisture due to the rapid temperature changes. then when i let go of my handbrake the caliper wouldn't budge.

in my case, i had brand new pads. and when you park your car in neutral on a hill it should hardly move backwards. should this be the case, check out your cable. if i am correct, you can have someone tighten your calipers? correct me?

it seems like we're having a series of problems here. we can be sure one of the problems are:

-the ebrake cable/rubber boots (thanks Mad).
-the pads.
-the grease.
-the brake lines.
-the caliper.

it seems like a big mystery to me. when i got my car fixed, the mechanic said everything was okay but the caliper was broken. either my line from the GB is broken out or i really hate winter.