Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Caster Alignment Kit..... Diy?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

if the top is closer to the rear, it is positive caster. positive caster has a centering effect.

even with the ball joint at the bottom of the knuckle you still create other extra loads in the strut by moving the top of it. it is minor, but impossible to say.

that said, you can probably do this to a certain degree without it harming anything, but in no way is it the "right" way of taking car of caster issues. if your car is macpherson strut and is off caster, something is bent, plain and simple. just fix it.

also, sliding it back will do crazy other(but in minor doses most likely) things to the suspension.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:08 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

my caster isn't that far off right now. It's just that it could be better. This is my current alignment. I just put on a new camber kit. My old one had a issue with the washers on 2 wheels and we just said F it.

It's not bad at all right now, I just want it 0'd before I go on a long trip and my alignment tech is a perfectionist.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:51 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

dude, i don't know what factory spec is, but don't worry about .1 difference between the two. i wouldn't go drilling shit for that. it's fine.

but definitely get rid of that positive camber. most "tuner" tires can deal with a degree or two of neg. camber fine, and it increases handling performance.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:37 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there was an issue with the camber kit.

When my camber is put back into place, my caster goes off. My right front wheel keeps going out of caster. It's odd. Maybe I'll try later if it's still needed after this alignment.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:10 AM

QUOTE (Bommello @ Apr 24 2009, 08:26 PM)
According to Hyundai there are no adjustments for camber ....... This is from the Hyundai dealer that last did my alignment and from a Hyundai tech. So with that being said I'm not too sure about what you are about to do.

Whoa..... just reread what I wrote.... dude I meant caster not camber...sorry