Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

busted brake lines?

Old 01-17-2005, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine popped...
Old 01-17-2005, 06:06 AM

I will admit.. I did not care for the aluminum brackets they supplied..
Old 01-17-2005, 11:04 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

boy, i hope i don't have problems with mine....

i did keep the OEM ones though
Old 01-17-2005, 12:24 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

should i be worried too... sheez! is this a quality issue here?

i haven't had any problems so far. don't want to jinx it like i've jinxed some other things.

maybe it involves the mechanic who put them in? i don't know. what is the lifespan of these lines? i mean... if the stock ones can last 10 years why can't these?
Old 01-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

rolleyes.gif

Why is everyone worried?

Again, I've heard of like 5 lines failing out of 150 sets of 4.

Some stuff fails. It happens.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:28 PM

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe)
if the stock ones can last 10 years why can't these?

I would not suggest ten years.... while they still might be able to hold the fluid in and the pressure.. the insides will have broken down and reduced flow.. in some cases this can lead to a sticking caliper as fluid can get to it, but not flow away.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeppers... on my 1998 GSX the insides of the lines had worn down... I replaced them when I did a bunch needed brake upgrade. Anything older than five years and you need to check almost everything on the car after you buy it. If they do burst, its nothing to get overly worried about if its a street car. I actually saw someone bust a line after going through the traps @ 108MPH, used almost all of the runout area to stop.

Just use a different bracket, and like with every install, go over it a few timtes to make sure you did it absolutely right. They should be fine. smile.gif
Old 01-17-2005, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

in some cases this can lead to a sticking caliper as fluid can get to it, but not flow away.

OMFG... so the caliper did not freeze like i thought? because my left rear caliper didn't want to let loose of the rotor (rotorpros drilled/slotted GB). my rotor was warped and tore off all the heat resistant paint. the garage said it was a broken caliper. cost me $300. when i got it fixed, the hand brake is still slippy as before. when you tap the brake really hard during driving it goes away and then comes back when you use the handbrake when parked. could the brake line be the problem? that the fluid won't come back up causing the caliper to tighten up?

thanks again Mad-Machine. the old brake lines were fine for 6 years... i don't know. the new lines got rid of the "spongy" feeling. but right now i'm trying to look for answers.

Some stuff fails. It happens.
that's right all. it's not what people think that hyundais break or fail. it's all cars. it all depends on the owner's treatment, circumstances, instances, environment, and a little bit of luck.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

heres a thought, wrap up the area of the line where it contacts the aluminum mount with some tefon tape. you do have some clearance. see after a month of driving how the teflon tape looks. maybe just cut the stock ones off, and make your own with a rubber grommet.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:10 PM

what did they do to your caliper.. replace it or just hone it out?

As for the brake sticking with the handbrake and then letting loose when you hit the brakes hard.. I am unsure. Might want to check the handbrake cables first and work from there.

If you do need another caliper.. I happen to have a good used left side rear caliper you can have for the price of shipping. I bought it when I had problems with the bracket on that side.. the salvage yard sold me the whole assembly for 35 bucks.. instead of the 200 the factory wanted.