Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Brake Rotor Trouble?

Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got new front rotors and pads from Car X last week for cheap and was happy. This past weekend on Saturday
I took off the wheels to touch up paint my calipers. I noticed that the front rotors were loose and took the car back to Car X. They told me that the only thing that holds the front rotors on is the calipers and that the front wheels when put on,
hold the rotors tight. Is this true?? I always thought that there was something to hold them on tight like a bolt? The front driver side caliper seems like it is on tighter than the passenger side?? I am worried and confused? I even asked them why my old rotors were tight and they said rust build up caused them to be stuck on in a sense. Help me out guys and let me know what you think or what they did wrong or if everything is okay. Sorry for the long post. I can literally grab the rotors and they will move back and forth while the wheel is off. The calipers are the only things preventing them from coming off.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:07 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

What they said was right. The wheel holds the rotors when bolted up. It's called a non-captive setup.

Old rotors were probably rusted to the hub, sometimes you even gotta work your ass off to get old rotors off with a hammer.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The stock rotors, front ones at least, have 2 small screws that hold it in place during assembly. The caliper is all that holds it in place, until the wheel is on, then the wheel holds it completely still.

A quick search about rotors would find we've talked about this a few dozen times.