Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Changing Rotors When...

Old 09-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

(08:31 PM) 1stGenTib - im pretty sure thats NOT supposed to happen EVER!
(08:30 PM) 1stGenTib - ok, so I took my front passenger wheel and calipter off and pulled on the rotor to turn the setup to the outside... my hub/rotor combo slid right out of the effing knuckle... WTF!?

I'm guessing bad bearings? they may have had 10k miles on them at most... could it be a bad hub? dont want to die from wheel rolling off!!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

A friend of mine had a knuckle assembly fall apart in his hands when it was pulled, due to failed bearings. It was still driving but the bearings were NOT the part keeping the wheels on!
Old 09-20-2009, 01:26 AM

ya im pretty sure the caliper and rotor were what was holding the hub in the bearing/knuckle. Glad I tore the whole front end off the car!

So the issue is a bad bearing?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, look at the bearing. did it come apart? Is it really loose or completely worn away?

You should be able to look at it and figure it out, you've got it man. Take some pics and we can talk too, but otherwise, we'd all be making good guesses at best. What holds it in place when installed? If it is just the pressure of the pressed in bearings, with the axle nut holding it all together, then yeah, I'd say it is the bearings.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:15 PM

I might put some time into the car today and I'll take and post video. The reason I brought it up is b/c the bearing, unlike last time, did not fall apart. I'll get some vids and pics to see if I can get more insight...
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM

Update- It was a bad hub! Got new bearings pressed in and the hub didnt even need to pressed in, damn thing slid in like... well I wont describe it. It was bad. Need a new hub and thats 130$ from dealer. I think I'm gunna get one off a junker at a pic a part and have it pressed out and onto my knuckle. This kinda crap is why my tib has been sitting 50+% of the time since 04. Hopefully there wont be any more surprises!