Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Brake lights wont go off plz read

Old 12-08-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Elantra Station Wgn
Default Brake lights wont go off plz read

Ok

So I am new here, because apparently I am retarded or something!

Anyways, recently my brake lights were staying on after being parked for the night. After replacing the battery AND the brake light switch, it is still happening.

Most times, I am able to press on the brake pedal a few times and get it to go off...

So could this be a simple fuse issue? an alternator issue? or?

Please help me, I am very tired of going through all this crap to get my car (her name is Alexis btw) in tip top shape!

I am in tears over here!

I usually do the work myself....when I can!

So please let me know!
Old 12-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you go upside-down under your dashboard, under the steering wheel, and look at the brake arm, you will see the switch on the brake pedal arm. The easiest thing is that the switch either needs to be adjusted so it isn't being operated without pushing the pedal, or else the little plastic pad against which it pushes could be broken/missing.

Does your car have antilock brakes? If you're not sure, look in the engine bay. The box with a bunch of pipes going to it is a telltale part of the ABS system.

Does it have cruise control? Either of those control modules could fail, but it would be rare.

To avoid killing another battery, you might consider pulling the stop lamp fuse when you leave the car overnight. It's a hassle, but it's $0. Just remember to replace it, or you'll get a ticket that may cost as much as a new battery
Old 12-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

The problem is one of two things... Some cars with cruise control have two brake switches. They're both on or near the brake pedal. One is for the brake lights, the other turns off the cruise when you touch the brakes. If your car has two, it's possible you replace the one for the cruise and not the lights by mistake. If you only have one switch, either you didn't install is correctly (it's adjustable), or the pad on the brake pedal that contacts the switch came off. If you know what to look for, it's an easy fix. If not, you might want to do some research (Google images) to see what it's supposed to look like.