Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

bearings..

Old 03-04-2005, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

The rear is totally different. I think it comes as one unit. The hub/bearing is the same thing in the rear if I'm not mistaken. The fronts are separate items form the hub/spindle assembly.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:23 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

I've had three of my bearings replaced. When they are going you hear a grinding noise. The faster you go, the faster and louder the grinding gets. If your problem is truly wheel bearing related I don't think it would disappear at times. A CV joint problem will be most noticeable when turning and you will hear a clicking sound. You need to check everything related; bearings, CV joints, brakes, tires, alignment, etc.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:06 AM

REAR wheel bearings are easy. If you can change the brake pads.. you can do the wheel bearing. You will just need the assembly (as noted above, it is a hub and bearing assembly in one piece) a large socket (I will check later to see what size.. I believe it might be 36mm), a new cotter pin, and a torque wrench.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:07 AM

i replaced my cv joint and bearing as well at the same time cuz they were both screwed.

but my sterring wheel didnt jump around like ur describing.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:35 AM

yea.... one of my friends from back home told me my problem was the CV joint. The guys at the tire shop claim that its the bearing but my friend said that the bearing makes more of a grinding noise and what i have is a popping noise... any input??
Old 03-04-2005, 04:02 PM

A CV joint makes a distinctive "Clickclickclickclick" when you turn the wheel in the direction of the bad CV joint and give the car throttle.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:08 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

yes that is how the problem started that's why i thought CV at first, now it is all the time, and is combined with steering wheel shaking.
it actually sounds (most of the time, its pretty random as far as when it comes and goes now, but its there most of the time) like i have a dog underneath my wheel, its like squeaky and clicky and thumpy and grinding metal and crunch sounding all at the same time..it really is quite horrible and disgusting, i turn the music up.
i think it's a wheel bearing because the steering wheel shaking and the sound usually goes away when i accelerate fast, like the tire is kicking the bearing into place or something when it spins faster. also because of the squeakish sound it makes.
is there an effective way to diagnose this problem, i need it fixed ASAP before something else goes wrong..or i need to drive a long ways. i do not want to take it to a shop and get raped, if i have instructions and the parts i can do it myself...just kind of clueless on how to make that first step. if i had a sears or something in town they would do a free full suspension and tire check but i dont have that option.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:54 AM

sears will do it for free?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:59 AM

Sears will do WHAT for free?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:03 AM

zone said this>>>if i had a sears or something in town they would do a free full suspension and tire check but i dont have that option.

i find that kind of hard to believe