Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Bad Steering Problem

Old 11-30-2005, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a pretty bad steering problem that has been plaguing my car for abotu 6 months now. My setup currently has B&G coilovers (already tuned for aggressive street driving), full sway and strut bar setup, and it was recently alligned. In addition, the tie rod ends have been replaced on both sides.

My problem is that everytime i make an aggresive right turn (35mph+) the steering shifts. By shifting i mean if i am making a 60 degree turn the steering will shift to a 45 degree turn. It seems like one wheel moves while im turning. The more people i have in the car, the worse the problem gets.

To make it even weirder... i have not had this problem while making a left turn.... only a right.

Any idea of what it could be?

Im going to check in about 20 min all the bolts under the car as well as the passengers side wheel bearing. I havent heard any noise.. but you never know.

thanx guys
It sucks having the suspension done and not being able to take advantage of it. sad.gif
Old 11-30-2005, 10:54 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Yeah thats too bad man. I know with our B&Gs they dont have nice pillow ball upper mounts, and the damn things can move up top where they should never be able to. I think that's the prob man. I think its simply the lack of quality in our coilovers. I'm convinced that B&G coilover setups blow. But I love an interchange at 75 when it says 25, lol.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM

not sure what exactly your referring to. I doubt its the coilover though.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i donno what to tell you mang other than to lift up the car and make sure the suspension is tight

tighten everythin and make sure your sway bar is lined up right and that the ball joints are good
Old 11-30-2005, 06:55 PM

i would check the ball joints. Also, bring it to an alingment shop if you know a good one, they might be able to point out something thats keeping it out of whack. is there any pull at all when you go straight? even very slight?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:49 PM

i will have to check the ball joints

The car runs fine when going straight.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:23 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

The reason I brought up the coilovers, is that when I have my car parked straight in the driveway wheels not turned, I have to turn the wheel when backing out. Everytime my car is backed out after sitting even a short time, if I have to turn the wheel to get out of a space, the coilovers let out a little bonnnng noise. This is due to the lack of a complete coilover with top pillow ball mount, or any mount for that matter. Our B&Gs just have the post to go through our stock mount, which does not keep the top of the coilovers perfectly in place.

Everytime I'd hear that Bonnnnng noise, my car would then pull to the direction to I had to turn the wheel. So it could be in perfect alignment, not pulling either way all the way home. I pull in my driveway, then leave 2 hours later, and I'd hear the noise when turning my wheel, and the car would then pull towards the direction that I had to turn the wheel. Everytime. So I stop the car completely, jerk the wheel all the way to the other direction, and a slightly smaller Boonnnng noise comes again, telling me that its pushed itself back into alignment. Then my car goes straight. But if I dont stop and do this, the car just keeps pulling one direction (depending on which way the wheel was turned before/during the first noise.

What I'm suggesting may be the issue, is that your coilovers are doing this during driving. It'd only through it off a bit, but enough to feel it. Hopefully this isn't the issue.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:58 PM

check your steering rack mounts. They are usually soft rubber to absorb some road impacts. Over time they wear out. With your aggressive set up, they probably died a horrible death. What is happening, the steering rack is actually Shifting instead of moving the wheels.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ I agree defintly check it out
Old 12-02-2005, 11:01 AM

Thats what i was worried about..

Ill check, and take pics...

What about that performance suspension bushing set....hmmmm... i remember Blktibs had a set...