Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Accent brake swaps

Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I only have an approximate weight on the Accent knuckle assembly but it should be close to 28 lbs. The "Hybrid" I created is coming in at 40lbs. All that weight gain is in the rotor and caliper as the knuckles themselves are almost identical.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

ok... when you say SE your referring to the GK V6 6 speed?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Juanra
ok... when you say SE your referring to the GK V6 6 speed?

I'm not really sure, a GK Tib yes but someone will have to answer the rest of that question.

I will update my first post (post #3) in this topic with weight breakdowns, it will be good info at the begining of this topic.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The SE is a trim level of the GK. The SE calipers are red and say Hyundai across them.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent 22PSI Boost

Any information about that bottom pivot bolt??? What are you going to do?

Chhers Ryan
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 AM

Ryan, I have a 99 elantra lower ball joint in hand, a 02 accent one is coming in today and ill compare them. The hope is to be able to use the elantra ball joint on my control arm. I will know more in about 8 hours.

Did some comparisons with the LC,XD and J1 knuckles and there are some differences between the XD and J1, I had previously stated that those to looked identical other then the bore size. The flange that kicks out, were the lowerball joint ties in is were the major differance is. So from the center of the bore to the top of said flange( ball joint nut side) on the LC is 47mm, J1 is 50mm and the XD is 57mm. Now for the other side of the flange. Thickness wise the LC is 17mm and the XD and J1 are both 20mm. Basically the bottom portion of the flange were the lower ball joint mates is the key issue as that is were the lower control arm sits. So compared to the LC the J1 is only off by 6mm and the XD is off by 13MM. I would not use a XD knuckle on any of those swaps listed at the start of this topic for an LC, the J1 seems the more logical choice, it can be left as a 4x114 pattern or changed to a 4x100 very easy.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Great news, the ball joint issue is solved. Now even though the start and finish points of the taperd holes on the 99 Elantra and 02 Accent are different sizes they both use the same lower ball joint. When I grabbed the Accent ball joint today I noticed the part number was the same as the 99 Elantra ball joint I picked up 2 days ago. Thinking this was an error I went back into Auto Zone and they confirmed that both cars use the same part number. Now to finish collecting parts. So far I have both 99 Elantra knuckle assembly, both 04 Tiburon "GT" calipers, front bearings, tie rods and lower ball joints. I still need to grab cross drilled/slotted rotors front and back, SS braided brake lines front and back, rear bearings, front and rear pads, axles and caliper rebuild kits front and back.

Now for the calipers themselves, no auto recycler in my area has the Tiburon "SE" calipers but they do look badass with the with the raised Hyundai lettering. I like the color scheme of a red caliper and black bracket and I think I may do something like this only instead of red I am thinking about blue (no metal flake) like my car or just an all black caliper. Let me know what you guys think or throw out some other options.

Tiburon "SE" Caliper
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Awesome. I will update the parts list once everything is fully installed. Great work.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent 22PSI Boost

ok... Just to clarify the accent and lantra lower ball joint is the same?

What was the original confussion with a sloppy hole?

So I should be able to use the lower ball joint that is already on the car?

Cheers Ryan
Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 PM

I didnt realize that the ball joint tool I used had crushed the dust cover down after removing my Accent knuckle. When I mounted the hybrid knuckle assembly you could see way more pivot bolt showing then there should have been. Knowing that the start and finish of the tapered holes were different sizes on the knuckles led me to believe it wasnt mounting well when in reality it was the crushed dust cover. I noticed tonight when looking at the ball joints and the new dust cover that mine was crushed by the tool, my bad folks but this is the first time I have ever worked on a ball joint. So yes Ryan your Accent ball joints are just fine.