Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

99tib. suspension swap

Old 06-18-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 tibby
Default 99tib. suspension swap

hey guys,

got it 3 months ago.

99 tiburon

135k miles

2l 4cyl 5speed

had transmission trouble changed it out and cracked my flex pipe.

so i picked up a ebay stainless header/downpipe/flexpipe and jdm coilover springs. all new. parts will be in couple weeks from now. im in canada and got all this for 200 shipped.

and i put on some wider wheels.

getting rub on my front driver quarter panel on bumps so i decided to get springs. looked like i have enough clearance so i figure my shocks or springs are wearing out.

now was wandering im a little tight on money after the transmission and springs and header, i was going to get shocks from a pick and pull. are the newer tibbys or anything else compatible with my 99 if not i will save and buy new shocks because i don't wanna put another old set of 99 shocks in there.

goal for this car is to keep me on wheels for the next year or 2 then giver her to my ol lady. so dont really want to upgrade for performance but when the parts are cheap i dont mind.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

it sounds like the biggest problem is your priorities-...

the struts are not something you want to buy used unless they are under 30k old. the struts do not control your ride height. they are mainly there to controll the rebound on the spring.

springs don't really wear out-... they may settle a bit (during the first couple of weeks after install) but not wear out.

i'm not sure what brand of springs you purchased, but it's not likely that they would be jdm. our cars are from south korea, so most of the steel, rubber, glass, and plastic parts also come from korea (w/ the exception of some of the electronics).

the problem you are having is likely from either your tire width or aftermarket rims w/ a different offset.

you could have your fenders rolled but i doubt that will solve the issue.

in short, sort out your rim offset/tire width first! then save up money and purchase new struts (kyb gr2 will likely be your best bet), then intall new struts w/ lowering springs at the same time!

but yes struts/springs from the later 90's elantras and the pre 2003 tibs should be compatible.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:20 PM

heres whats on the tire:

p215/50 r16 89v m+s

its a 17 inch Volvo rim

rubbing on driver front 1/4 panel

and yes i did grind out the lip on the panel... intent is to replace 1/4 panels and front clip cause it was in a accident a while back but ya want rub fixed before i go and replace panel

01steave heres the springs i got hope they arnt just junk :S

http://cgi.ebay.ca/97-01-HYUNDAI-TIB...item3a672435a6
Old 06-19-2011, 02:23 PM

so ya looks like alot of clearance thats why i was thinkin shocks might be gone?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

those are hardcore junk

some of the worst ever

i wouldnt be surprised if the coils DID fail and your sagging like crazy

your best bet would be to return it all to stock, replace it with the factory springs, and get a alignment

that and the fact that you didnt fix the accident damage, i wouldnt be surprised if you bent something and thats whats causing it to rub

and how can you have a 16" tire on a 17" rim?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

he doesn't have the aftermarket springs installed yet-...

i still think this is a matter of incorrect offset/wheel/tire choice.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 PM

well ya it started rubbing when i put those wheels on. i want to keep the wheels and with the clearance i have in there i figured if i stiffen the suspension with shocks and springs that would fix it. the car is rebuilt status (thats how i bought it) and nothing is bent its been checked out. the plastics and the 1/4 panels just dont fit right cause they were never replaced. which is why i will replace them... after i figure out this tire rub. if i need to go diff wheels i will but was hoping to find out if anyones setup is like this and if it works.

@faithofadragon so why are the springs i have coming in the mail (not installed yet everything is currently stock) junk? how many have you tried? or u just know from other ppl that they dont work well? i cant really get my money back on them, are they really garbage compared to my stock setup?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you paid 30 bucks for them almost nothing would make them junk IMO unless they DO snap or won't hold a setting. At that price, the bar is set pretty low. Faith is feeling wet-blankety lately.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 PM

ya i know i payed nothin but a few reviews i saw said they were good ah well i will instal em and see if there any good.