Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

2006 Tiburon 4-abs Brakes

Old 10-20-2006, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that most people here have alot more experience with the RD Tibs, but in my frustrations I write about my GK and ask some questions.

First, me venting my frustrations:
I read somewhere that the stock brakes for the 06 Tib were supposedly not that good, but on a ton of other reviews I consistently read that "The four-wheel disc brakes worked well and stopped the car quickly."

Well after driving the car for a few weeks now and having tested out the brakes to see if the stopping power is all cooked up to be what the majority of the reviews have stated---I am not sure they are so great.

The Test:
I drove my 2005 Elantra that has ABS in front and drums on the back and I felt it had better stopping power than my 06 Tib's 4 wheel ABS brakes. I tested at high speeds and trying to slow down and also at slower speeds and attempting to slow down fairly quickly as well. For both tests, I still find the Tib's ABS brakes do not stop the car as quickly as the Elantra. This is frustrating for me because I was under the impression that having 4-wheel ABS would be better for stopping. The other day I was flying at around 110mph in the Tib and even down shifting and pumping the breaks (so not to keep them pressed the whole time) it felt like if I were to have had a wall in front of me, I would have been screwed. Even from street light to street light--if I accelerated as much as possible and then started slowing down when I got closer to the next street light it felt so slow to slow down and stop. I did the same with the '05 Elantra and I was more impressed by its stopping power.

I guess what I am getting at, and also to sum it up:

The Questions:
1) Has anyone heard anything bad about the '06 Braking system such as defectiveness or just that they plain suck?

2) Why the heck would my Elantra have better stopping performance?

3) What can I do to improve my '06 Tib's stopping performance? (preferably not too costly, but if so, ok)

It's a little frustrating for me (considering I like driving at an accelerated pace). The brakes are probably the ONLY complaint I have about my '06 GK, other than that--it's freaking fun to drive and awesome!

All those owner reviews that say that the 06 Tib has slow take off must have no clue how to drive because that sucker has a quick take-off IMO.

If anyone can help or has any constructive input, I am all ears (and gills)!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:13 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

2006 tiburon SE - 2986 lbs

Manual 2005 elantra - 2635 lbs

Simple inertia my friend.

I suggest some hawk pads, youll love them, braking is day and night.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:56 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

hawk pads fing02.gif
Old 10-20-2006, 07:09 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

QUOTE (Shark2006 @ Oct 20 2006, 02:42 AM)
I drove my 2005 Elantra that has ABS in front and drums on the back and I felt it had better stopping power than my 06 Tib's 4 wheel ABS brakes.

Just a question. Do you know what ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is? Based on the above statement it seems that you may be confused. Your Elantra has disc brakes in front and drum brakes in the rear. If it has ABS I'm sure it is on all four wheels. The only vehicles that had two wheel ABS were some trucks and SUV's which used rear wheel ABS to avoid lockup on the lightly loaded rear wheels.

Your Tiburon has four wheel disc brakes. If it also has ABS then you should never be pumping the brakes. If you want the best braking performance the car has to offer to press the brake pedal down hard and let the ABS do it's job. The wheels will not lock up and you will retain the ability to steer.

Try that and see how you make out. You could also upgrade the pads as previously suggested.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:03 PM

On our RDs (although lighter than the GK) the stock brakes do not feel so power either.
I suggest trying Hawks, and if you want the best braking performance, Hawk HP Plus (not the same as just HP) but think in changing discs also, because those pads will eat your discs and within 2000 miles your discs will be warped and they will vibrate A LOT.
I also had an Elantra (96) with rear drums also and it felt as if it stopped better that the Tib (4 discs + ABS) in OEM form. Changed pads and discs and everything changed A LOT.
wink1.gif
Old 10-20-2006, 10:35 PM

Well, I was under the impression that my Elantra does have ABS (yes I know what ABS is wink1.gif ) discs in front and drums in the back.....but I only meant that with discs in front and drums in back it still stops better than my 4 discs on the Tib.

I guess I figured that given the 2900+ weight on the Tib, they would have had a better braking system (even more so than the Elantra, since its supposed to be a vehicle with higher performance perks--at least I thought so).

I also heard from a friend that if I hold down my ABS discs without pumping occasionallly while down-shifting, it can heat up the brakes to the point where you can't stop at all or can even get a "gliding" effect where the braking is limited. I was also told that it can melt something in the brakes (thought I don't think that is true). I assumed that the "glide" effect was true, because it had happened to me in the past in my Dodge Avenger--I was traveling at a pretty high speed at the time and I had held down the ABS Disc brakes to try to stop and after a few seconds (new car, new brakes at the time) all of a sudden I felt like they slipped or glided and lost stopping power. It was a scary feeling because the brakes ended up stopping my car, BUT halfway past the street light white line instead of AT the line. I had to accelerate again quickly to avoid traffic.

Since it felt like that was going to happen in my Tib a few days ago, I started to assume that what happened to me in my Avenger was happening in my Tib and I could only think to blame the disc braking system.

My take-off is great, now if I can only get the landings (stopping) right..... (The Greatest American Hero, FTW!)

I will look into the Hawk Pads and better discs, thank you guys so much for the advice.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:43 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

That's called brake fade and can happen to any car, ABS or not. But it should not be an issue in everyday driving. The brakes would normally only overheat and fade under repeated hard braking. The stock brakes should be more than adequate to stop the car in a decent distance from somewhere around legal speeds.

If you upgrade your brakes let us know what you get and how they work out for you.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:32 AM

I sure will let you know when I upgrade, and I will more than likely be doing that soon.