Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

2 Major Problems..someone Help

Old 05-01-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

okay so first issue is that anytime the car is moving backwards (or in reverse, but it happens in neutral also if it's rolling) every so often there is a VERY loud noise coming from the left rear wheel. it is definitely metal on metal--a grinding noise. funny thing is, i jack the car up, spin both back tires and i get no noise when the car is jacked up off the ground. so i thought maybe it was a bearing starting to go bad (but why only in reverse?) but neither wheel has any play when u push on it. so then i thought maybe it was a shock, let the car down and jump and pushed the rear end up and down but still no noise (also, if it was a shock it would do it ALL the time, not just in reverse, even though it DOES seem like you hear the noise more when your reversing over a bump like the end of a driveway or soemthing, but i guess that's about the only time u usually do reverse so .. idk). then i thought, maybe it's in the front and just sounds like the rear. so i jacked up the front, started the car and stuck it in reverse and watched the tires spin but there was no noise. took off the lugs and inspected everything on ALL 4 tires and there are not even any marks like there would be if it's metal on metal. what the noise actually sounds like is what it sounds like when the wheel is not bolted tight on the rotor, how when the wheel is taken off of the rotor there's some play in the rotor because it's not being held tightly and when it turns it makes that sort of sound. however, all my lugs are very tight so that's not the problem. then i started thinking maybe it's my tranny .. but the noise happens when the car is rolling backwards in neutral, not only in reverse. so i'm really stuck. i even took the car to a mechanic (definitely an honest one obviously) and he did all of the same things i did, inspected everything (spent about half hour or more) and he told me he gives up, that he doesn't know what the problem could possibly be. not sure if it's a coinsidence or not, but this particular problem started happening after i got my brake pads changed. this doesnt happen CONSTANTLY as im backing up, but it does happen about one time per driveway length i guess you could say.

now to the second problem .. whenever i get the tib over 70mph, the steering wheel starts shaking back and forth. it does not drift to one side, it shakes subtly left to right almost like a VERY windy day, or a draft from a semi or something. this has been happening for awhile. even after having a bearing and a cv replaced it still happens. it drifts from side to side. the weird thing is that it doesn't ALWAYS happen, but MOST of the time it does.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:41 AM

I have the same problem with the wheel shaking. I took it to farm and fleet and they told me I have a broken band in my tire. I also had to buy a camber kit b/c mine broke (I hit something)
Old 05-01-2005, 11:49 AM

a broken band in your tire huh? that means all new tires...was the camber kit also part of your problem? or just something extra
Old 05-01-2005, 11:50 AM

i know.... but i dont have the money right now...

I guess what happened was I hit something and I broke the camber and the band or whatever, I dunno. I dont really understand tires and suspension stuff. And now my bf is convinced I'm a bad driver
Old 05-01-2005, 11:51 AM

hope that's not my problem too, tires are spendy.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

for the second problem, wehn is the last time you had a wheel alignment done?

since the first problem started happening when you changed your brake pads, ever think about taking them off and putting them back on to see if it goes away. maybe they were installed a little wrong.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:50 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

Old 05-01-2005, 04:26 PM

...when the car is jacked up you can spin the tires forward and back all you want and you won't hear the noise.
i've taken the rotor assembly and caliper off and inspected everything. everything seriously seems perfect, even had a mechanic look at it. i'm so puzzled.
i had an alignment done about 11 months ago, when the tires were put on.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:37 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

I'm thinking that your tires are starting to separate. Inspect the tires to see if you have any knots on the sidewall or on the tread.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:59 PM

well, when my rear wheel bearing went on my Tib.. it rumbled. It got MUCH louder when that wheel was under a load when turning and went compleatly away when turning the opposite way. When a bearing goes in that way (rumbling as opposed to seizing) weight and load has a LOT to do with how it sounds.

The only other advice is to take everything apart and make sure the brakes were reassembled correctly.