Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

2 Major Problems..someone Help

Old 05-01-2005, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

well i just realized something...it only grinds when the brakes are applied in reverse. so it is definitely an issue with the brakes/caliper...idk i'll have to take it apart soon. anyone have any ideas of what to look for?

as for problem #2...anyone have any ritzy ideas for that one?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

QUOTE (jmn822000 @ May 1 2005, 06:37 PM)
I'm thinking that your tires are starting to separate. Inspect the tires to see if you have any knots on the sidewall or on the tread.

smile.gif
Old 05-02-2005, 06:33 AM

QUOTE (zoned019 @ May 2 2005, 12:45 AM)
well i just realized something...it only grinds when the brakes are applied in reverse. so it is definitely an issue with the brakes/caliper...idk i'll have to take it apart soon. anyone have any ideas of what to look for?

Zoned, what year is your RD1 and is it discs or drums in the rear?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:36 AM

99 FX.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:12 PM

hmm.. 99Fx means it has four wheel discs.. I cannot think of a single reason they would be squeaking in reverse... unless you have an auto and you never use the handbrake.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Do you get a clicking sound when you hit bumps/cracks in the road?

If so, I had the exact same problem. It's gone now and I'm not sure if it was my shocks brakepads or rotors. Here is what happened.

I got KYB GR2's, new springs, rotors and pads. Installed them in my garage and I was hoping this would get rid of the sound, if it didn't.......well, I'd be pissed. I installed everything and didn't notice the noise while I was driving before my alignment. But, it didn't happen everytime in the first place so I couldn't tell. When I took it in for the alignment, they broke parts because one of my rear bushing's were seized. That could also be the problem cause it is surely gone now.

Check your pads for uneven wear, maybe you have a "lip" on your rotor that catches the pad.

Check your rotors to see if there is any foreign objects stuck in or around it.

Maybe get your mechanic to check the rear bushings to see if they are seized or anything.

As for the wheel shake, did you get your alignment after your CV joint and bearing replacement? If not you'll need one now. That could also have caused uneven wear on the tire and caused the belt to break.

Check the tire for treadlife, if it's low then you have the problem emstib suggested.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:43 PM

well, i took the caliper assembly off and reinstalled the pads...i don't really know what i did besides disassemble and reassemble everything, but i haven't heard the noise yet. however it never used to happen ALL the time, just most of the time .. so i'll just wait and see if i fixed the problem or not.
once i got the wheel off, if i would spin the rotor with my hand it seems it would keep getting stuck on some spot, with some force u could keep spinning it but it was definitely 'sticky', it could move forward just fine though. anyway we'll just see if i fixed that problem or not..if not then i suppose i'll be back here asking for more help laugh.gif

as for the shaking, i checked the tires, the tread seems to be fine...the thing is that this problem started before the cv and bearing were even issues. i just never really though it was anything serious, now it's becoming much more noticable and i'm starting to worry..i really don't have the cash for new tires, these ones are just under a year old...
Old 05-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

Most tire shops 'adjust' tires out and you get the remaining life out of it in cash towards your next tire purchase. That's if they have a manufacturer's defect, to which I'm thinkin. I'd get them professionally looked at.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:18 PM

bought them from the tire rack, maybe they have some sort of warranty thing, i'll check.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:38 PM

ever since i did my little adjustment of taking everything apart and reinstalling it it seemed to have fixed my grinding noise.
well, for about 4 days anyway. the noise is back...more annoying than ever. i asked a friend to look at the wheel while i was backing up and he said it looked like maybe that little clip on the caliper was hitting something..but the noise is really VERY loud and i don't think that's what it is.
anyone have any ideas?