Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Turboxs Bov Problem

Old 01-17-2007, 04:26 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my friend has a stealth as some of you know. Anyway, he's had a turboxs bov on it for a while now. Recently the throttle control motor went out and he had to get it fixed at the mistu dealership. When he got it back he put a brand new cone filter on it as well.

After he got the car back, the bov keeps cracking open while driving causing the car to "buck." It seems to only be apparent at low rpms and while going up hills. We checked all over for vacuum leaks and could not locate any. We then took the bov off and added some washers inside the casing to make the sping even tighter. We added all the washers that came with it and still it acts just the same as it did before. We also tried with less washers and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas of why this is happening?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:40 PM

has he manually adjusted it?? the turboXS bov's have a manual adjustment, the upper part rotates.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ True dat.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:57 PM

Yea, we tried that. Before he left my house today, we had some of the intake piping off and we noticed that there was metal shavings in it. Sucks for him I suppose.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

shavings + anything "intake" = problem or potential problems.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:54 PM

it could be a dead BOV.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:54 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

best bet, e-mail whoever @ 3sxperformance.com they helped my buddy out numerous times w/ the vr4. the other thing my friend said it might be is that on his old greddy bov that there were 2 vacum lines on either side. maybe when the dearship had the car, they might have swapped the lines and put them in the wrong spots during reassembly. it's a wild guess and probably doesn't make sense, but it might not hurt to try-... like i said ask 3sxperformance.com they know everything there is to know about the stealth/3000gt. hmm also is it possible those metal shavings screwed up the bov?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^I dont think so, or at least Ive never heard of it. I had problems with my turboxs bov but that was because it needed to be recirculated.

Metal shavings are never good.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:24 PM

We have no idea where these metal chips are coming from, but it is after the one turbo (this spells disaster.) We may do a more thorough check this weekend after changing my clutch.

QUOTE (nate704 @ Jan 17 2007, 09:54 PM)
it could be a dead BOV.

Thats the only conclusion that I can now draw. Its just strange that it happened as soon as he got it back from the dealership.

QUOTE (01steve @ Jan 17 2007, 09:54 PM)
best bet, e-mail whoever @ 3sxperformance.com they helped my buddy out numerous times w/ the vr4. the other thing my friend said it might be is that on his old greddy bov that there were 2 vacum lines on either side. maybe when the dearship had the car, they might have swapped the lines and put them in the wrong spots during reassembly. it's a wild guess and probably doesn't make sense, but it might not hurt to try-... like i said ask 3sxperformance.com they know everything there is to know about the stealth/3000gt. hmm also is it possible those metal shavings screwed up the bov?

His bov only has one vacuum line going to the top of it. I will def. tell him to contact 3sx.