Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Those Ugly Del Sols'

Old 07-31-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are still slow!

I will tell my little story with a del sol.

I was driving back home around mid night, going on the back roads around the speed limit, when this del sol starts tailgating me, I was like ok... keep beeing stupid. So, he decides that he's cool and gets into the opposite lane to get ahead of me, I let him do it because I don't want him or someone else to die because of his stupidity. Later on we catch a stop sign and he desides that he's the man and just takes off when I'm driving normally, so it pissed me off a little and I followed him. As soon as I shifted into second I was right next to his bumper and until I reached 5miles over the speed limit I was right on his ass taking it easy on my car because I was way faster than him. I didn't want to be stupid and stopped as soon as I was 5 miles over the limit and he kept on going... If it was a 2 lane road with higher speed limit he wouldn't stand a chance. He definitely had an intake and exhaust at least, I had I/H/E back then.

Hope no one will consider this as a street racing as I never really went over the speed limit and basically just accelerated my car pretty fast smile.gif

You will destroy him as long as you have manual and know how to drive it. Make some money bet!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:06 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

I drove a 5-speed del sol for a week last year and i wasn't impressed with its performance. Yeah, They are slow cars.

You'll win fo sho smile.gif
Old 08-01-2005, 07:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Also vtec usually means they have no low end power so you have him off the start too fing02.gif
Old 08-01-2005, 03:21 PM

QUOTE (OdessitPashka @ Aug 1 2005, 02:16 AM)
if he chooses B then you start talking shit about him and how slow his car is.

I hope your car is manual? and so is his?

Of course I have a manual
QUOTE (a_gut @ Aug 1 2005, 03:48 AM)
Edmunds says:

1995 del sol w/vtec - 1.6 liter 160HP 2522 lbs
2000 tiburon - 2.0 liter 140HP 2633 lbs

Unless the gearing is way different between the two, it'll probably come down to the drivers, not the cars

Civics and del Sols are probably geared the same, and Ive raced many Civics and I have yet to lose to one, they have no low end what so ever.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:54 PM

rofl.gif I've had a couple of the same experiences that OP has had with Del Sols. (Auto here with +/- 145bhp tongue.gif )

I wouldn't say the Del Sol is slow though. They redline at 8200 rpm too! But for all the smack he's talking, I think you two should go to the track to draw some REAL conclusions. wink1.gif

I've never driven a Del Sol, but from what I hear, they're quite slow off the line and only make their power at high RPMs. I did some research VTEC kicks in somewhere around 7600 rpm. So it's got a powerband from 7600-8200, which isn't really a large powerband at all. Doubt he's in his powerband at all times with the gearing in his 5spd. It doesn't make nearly as much horsepower until it hits VTEC (VTEC supposedly is around a 30+ hp gain).

LOL I think Del Sols are RIDICULOUS looking. They look like mid-engine wannabes or something similar. I think Del Sols are cute little cars for girls, but when you see a guy driving it, eh... lmao.gif looks wrong to a good percentage of us.

With i/h/e you should have no problem taking on that Del Sol. His mouth is writing checks that his Civic can't cash.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

HAHAHAHHA, OMFG, they are SOOO Slow bone stock. Auto or manual, don't matter you got this race in the bag.

JUst don't mis-shift or do anything stupid and you shoudl enjoy whomping on the del-SLOW.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:06 PM

Ok, I used to be in the same situation that you are in. I had a "friend" with a Del Sol that had a JDM engine swap and exhaust. Sorry, I am not sure what motor it had in it.

I raced him stock and he killed me.

I then added my CAI, 4-1 Header, and full exhaust and I beat him 3 times. The races were very close though.

Then he added a header. Still beat him. Added a BBTB and IM, still beat him.

He was so mad that he always lost to me. Then one night a couple of weeks ago, he wanted to race again. This is with my body kit, lambo doors, bigger rims, and stereo all installed, but I said what the hell. He ended up taking me by about 3 cars. I later found out that he added a lightened flywheel. That thing really helped the car.

I wish that I knew what kind of motor he put in though. I know it was a JDM Vtech.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:30 PM

As said, Del Sols have at best the 1.6 Vtec that makes 160HP; and also as said they deliver the power very high on the rev range, so your move has to be right off the line, because if you start slow and he knows how to drive, he could beat you.
I think in Japan they only have as Vtec engines (the originals, now Hondal puts "iVtec" engines in all models) for 1.6 Civic, 2.2 Prelude, 2.2 Accord EX-R, 1.8 Integra GS-R, and some more, but as far as I know, they are 1.6 (160HP) 1.8 (180HP) and 2.2 (196HP); maybe in the last two years they have added more Vtecs to the family, but in the Del Sol years, there was only the 1.6 as really OEM.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:45 PM

JDM "Vtech?" tongue.gif What is "Vtech"? haha.gif joke.gif

Here's how I look at it; it's only a 1.6 liter engine. Thanks to VTEC technology, it went from 125bhp to 160bhp (could be a tad overrated). The swap did him good, because your basic N/A bolt ons it's going to increase his horsepower by a whole lot with an engine so small.

You ever see how small a 1.6 liter engine is? lmao.gif
Old 08-02-2005, 05:48 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

just wanted to make everyone aware that the motor that the del slow has isnt "just" a 1.6

its a b16

which is a ok motor none the less

but del sols are slow as hell though...